Why become a member? ×

5 stringers with 34" scale?

Pinball

Hi, I'm giving my mind a treat and looking round for a 5 stringer with a 34" scale. The ones that spring to mind are my Warwick FNA, Cort, ESP Surveyor, Inanez SR's, Sterling Ray35, Yammy BB's, and older Spectors. Anything else that I'm missing?

Note: I am guessing that there will be Fenders of some sort but I haven't been overwhelmed at the 5 stringers I have tried, also were taking basses that are under a grand here, wither new or 2nd hand . Also must have some P style oomph!

Any suggestions?

The higher end Ibanez SR's are pretty damn good for the money in my mind. If your budget is the 1k mark then theres a fair few ACGs on here at the moment under that price (I think one or two of them are 34" 5 stringers). There's a Warwick streamer Jazzman for sale here too. Great basses if you get on with Warwick necks!

The DiMarzio Ultra jazz pups in my Yamaha BBN5 have a more thump than growl as they're hum cancelling so neck is similar design to a p bass pup ... I might be taking this bass off the market as I'm maybe gonna give it another try with different pups (true single coils other than stock) & maybe some flats as tension on low B isn't enough for me as I play in drop A. It's fine in standard tuning and is a nice 5er. I think you can't go wrong with the Yamaha range of 5ers & most of the new ones are all 34". Not expensive either :)

Pity for me coz I'd really like 35" just for the low A issue ... :(

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1409530994' post='2540665']
The higher end Ibanez SR's are pretty damn good for the money in my mind. If your budget is the 1k mark then theres a fair few ACGs on here at the moment under that price (I think one or two of them are 34" 5 stringers). There's a Warwick streamer Jazzman for sale here too. Great basses if you get on with Warwick necks!
[/quote]

The two basses I use or my FNA in SR3005e so I agree 100%., I'll check out the others

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1409532066' post='2540669']
My Yamaha TRB is 34". It's the older version with the slap cutout. The newer ones are 35" I think.
[/quote]

I love these, I did have a TRB1005 for a while and loved the sound but found it a bit unwieldy. I maybe need to look more carefullly at the older yammys.

Thanks for the suggestions, there are a few to follow up..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1409562969' post='2540802']
American Deluxe J5 would be my start-off point. Might just squeeze one in for that money
[/quote]

I love the USA Deluxe but have never come across a 5. Note: I'm a bit wary of older USA 5's after playing an awful used one in a shop, the B was terrible.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1409565350' post='2540836']
There's a used Yamaha BB1025X available on this very forum. That's what I use and I can't recommend it highly enough! Certainly has oodles of 'P-style oomph' that you seek, plus you have the bridge pickup to combine.
[/quote]

I love them, That particular one is just a bit heavy for me as I have a "shoulder history" to consider. If I could find one about 9lb that would hit the spot.

MTD's? interesting I'd have to try one I think.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1409568044' post='2540866']
I love the USA Deluxe but have never come across a 5. Note: I'm a bit wary of older USA 5's after playing an awful used one in a shop, the B was terrible.
[/quote]

Agree totally, I did think I should have quantified that better.
I wouldn't look at the 5 headstock, but would concentrate on the 4+1 headstock config.
The newer models with blocks and active EQ are the ones and I think that dates them from around 2010..??

This, IMV, is because Fender were getting a caning sales-wise by the likes of Lakland and the American Deluxe
is a decent response to that. Beyond this standard and price, I feel you are looking at Overwaters and then Sei, Celinder etc.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1409572400' post='2540950']
Agree totally, I did think I should have quantified that better.
I wouldn't look at the 5 headstock, but would concentrate on the 4+1 headstock config.
The newer models with blocks and active EQ are the ones and I think that dates them from around 2010..??

This, IMV, is because Fender were getting a caning sales-wise by the likes of Lakland and the American Deluxe
is a decent response to that. Beyond this standard and price, I feel you are looking at Overwaters and then Sei, Celinder etc.
[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation, very useful

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409594557' post='2541314']
If you are going up to a grand go for an ebmm ray5 instead of a sterling ray, nowt wrong with the 35 but your budget is quite wide ranging from your description.
[/quote]
Judging from your sig you like your Ray5's. I know where to come if I want advice. My budget? Yes I had my sights set quite low but sold some stuff that mean't I can look a little higher but not at the top end of that. Just getting things in my sights.

Someone just pointed out G&L's. I like those too.

Cheers

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1409600183' post='2541426']
Judging from your sig you like your Ray5's. I know where to come if I want advice. My budget? Yes I had my sights set quite low but sold some stuff that mean't I can look a little higher but not at the top end of that. Just getting things in my sights.

Someone just pointed out G&L's. I like those too.

Cheers
[/quote]
I dont mind them :) Certainly put the Ray35 in the mix with the stuff on par price wise, Yammys, Ibanez SR etc but if you went nearer the grand used I would go for a used SR5 over a new Ray35 myself. With a budget of a grand though you could get something sh*t hot used or new, I agree with G and L they do a whole range of good stuff and it amazes me I have never owned one myself for no real reason, why are you ruling out 35" scales? Lakland do some very nice basses, a 55-02 skyline used would do every gig ever asked of you and it for the foreseeable future :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409603309' post='2541483']
why are you ruling out 35" scales? Lakland do some very nice basses, a 55-02 skyline used would do every gig ever asked of you and it for the foreseeable future :)
[/quote]

I came to playing bass from playing electric guitar and was obsessed with obtaining howling sustain. Because of that I started off looking for thru neck 35" 5's. I traded up through a few including a TRB1005, Czeck Dean Edge, Spectors and even a 37" scale LB Carvin. I also got myself BEAD Spector Legend 4 stringer, with a stonking B string and really liked it. Then it dawned on me that "ultimate sustain" wasn't as important for bass and what I really wanted was something that wasn't too heavy and that had plenty of thump and power. Now I just want to keep continuity with my other basses. All one long learning process for me.

I'm not saying I'll never go back to a 35". There is a good custom Peavy Cirrus on here at the moment that almost turned my head but not just now. I'm still learning and love trying new things.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1409559524' post='2540756'] others I love these, I did have a TRB1005 for a while and loved the sound but found it a bit unwieldy.. [/quote]

I had a TRB5P mk1, which was a brilliant bass with an immense B string, neck through construction, easily available in your budget. I only sold mine to buy a BBNE2, which is even better. It's not impossible to find a BBNE2 under a grand on the used market.

What's missing from your list is

Bass Collection SGC Nanyo - it's not quite in the same league as the Yamahas but its pretty close, and can be picked up for a lot less money. I have one of those too and with a decent pre-amp it kicks sand in the face of various Ibanez and Fender offerings that I've tried.

If you can increase your budget by a bit : Fender Roscoe Beck 5 - they're a totally different ball game to the rest of Fenders 5-string offerings IMHO and its very definitely a buyers market.

Fernandes gravity 5 deluxe

I'm yet to try one myself, but they look very nice, and from all accounts have a nice slim and fast neck. Plus with active emg jazz pickups there would be plenty of tonal variety. It was good enough for Rob Trujillo to record with, and had yamaha and warwick try and replicate it's sound on his custom basses. Easily in your budget if you can find one!