Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[size=5][color=#800000][b]September’s Composition Challenge is now underway.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=5]Here's the image for your inspiration...[/size]

[size=5]And here are the rules 'n' stuff…[/size]

By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Terms & Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

For reference: here's a great source of copyright-free material, all available under Creative Commons license: [url="http://www.freesound.org/"]http://www.freesound.org/[/url]

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating!

If you have any questions about the competition rules, just ask.

[color=#800000][b][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on [u]Wednesday 24th[/u] September.[/size][/b][/color]

[b][size=5]PS:[/size][/b] This month marks the second anniversary of the Composition Challenge. A big thanks to Charic who first started the tradition back in 2012... and an equally big thanks to everyone who's taken part and voted since then!

If you want a trip down memory lane, check out the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228445-basschat-composition-challenge-the-archive/"]Challenge Archive[/url] in the 'Share Your Music' sub-forum, which contains links to each of the Composition Challenges since time immemorial.

Cheers! :drinks:

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1409570743' post='2540922']I'm off to Brainsavers......lol....[/quote]
Been there... I misheard and thought they said "trains" instead of brains, so asked for a slow and leisurely one :D

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1409575809' post='2541019']may have a crack when i get my honeymoon out of the way[/quote]
Get your priorities straight Rob, the honeymoon can wait! Seriously though mate, congratulations and have a great time.

-----

PS: a hasty submission last month and now a hasty choice of photo for this one... I need to get back to my usual, punctual self. Hope the choice of image is ok for y'all. I liked the simplicity of it and thought that the birds on the wire looked a little bit like notes on a stave (maybe Bilbo or Gary can transcribe it for us??). I also liked the lone bird beneath - clearly a rebel or an outcast, one of the two.

Anyway, hope it inspires.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1409582910' post='2541132']...a little bit like notes on a stave...[/quote]

As a drum score it's a bit... err... hectic..! When transcribed, it's not very musical, I'm afraid. Shame; would have made things easier..! Oh, well...

Now then, how did that situation arrive..? There must have been only one, at first, and then... Hmm... What happens next, eh..? Do they all leave as they arrived..? FIFO..? FILO..? ...or maybe, if there's a big bang... Hmm... Where's my headset..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1409741028' post='2542788']
I know what I [i]want[/i] to do but will need to find some other musicians to make it happen as I cannot play any of the instruments involved to the required level.

Mmmmm?
[/quote]

A feeble excuse. It's never stopped me..! :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :P[/size]

I know what I [i]want[/i] to do but will need to find some other musicians to make it happen as I cannot play any of the instruments involved to the required level.

Mmmmm?
[/quote]

That sounds very like my monthly dilemna :D

Mmmmm?
[/quote]

What's yer budget?
Cash, or cheque in the post?
Or a promise of more work?

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1409741028' post='2542788']I know what I [i]want[/i] to do but will need to find some other musicians to make it happen as I cannot play any of the instruments involved to the required level.[/quote]

Remember the unwritten yet golden rule: NO BAGPIPES! Please :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1409743014' post='2542814']
Remember the unwritten yet golden rule: NO BAGPIPES! Please :D
[/quote]

Would have been an appropriate challenge for this month, though, would it not..? Luckily, it's too late now..! B)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1409847511' post='2543931']...
My thoughts appear to be heading more and more Brotzmann/Bailey-ward!...
[/quote]

What do the doctors say..? Is there really no hope..? How about religion (although exchanging one form of madness for another is not really a cure, is it..!)..?

As shock therapy, an exposure to Japanese classical music can be beneficial, or '80s Disco. It may work, but could result in a permanent longing for folk music. Yes, the risk is great, but then again, so are the rewards. Fight it; fight hard. You can win this battle. Please..? For our sakes..? :unsure:[size=4] [/size]