Why become a member? ×

Have you done the ice bucket challenge?

jazzyvee

My sister-in-law is a Macmillan nurse, and my Mom unfortunately is recovering from cancer treatment now, and has used their services during her treatment. I'd rather just give money to them though, this ice bucket thing is starting to get annoying :)

The original concept was 'donate, or pour ice over yourself'. It changed to both from either/or, to satisfy the Facebook generation's self-centredness!

I played a gig for Macmillan last weekend and put something in the bucket (collecting, not ice!) … which, at my advanced age, is probably more dignified, not to mention effective.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1409577434' post='2541042']
The original concept was 'donate, or pour ice over yourself'. It changed to both from either/or, to satisfy the Facebook generation's self-centredness!

I played a gig for Macmillan last weekend and put something in the bucket (collecting, not ice!) … which, at my advanced age, is probably more dignified, not to mention effective.
[/quote]

Donate...run out of people to nominate

Done it, nom'd, DONATED, since that was the whole point, to Macmillan and MND Association.

It was fun, cold but not as cold as I had thought. Got to tip a bucket of water over my Mrs - what's not to like :gas: :D :)

Don't get the whining, the hype will fade but when it does, so will the exposure for the charity(ies) concerned.

Edited by planer

Yeah I did it, and donated...

[u][color=#0000ff][media]http://youtu.be/JdjGjxOV8pg[/media][/color][/u]

Then my pregnant wife got nominated, so I was her stunt double ;)

[u][color=#810081][media]http://youtu.be/Z8-Uwl5-x9Q[/media][/color][/u]

[color=#810081]I was one of the whingers when it was the whole no makeup selfie thing, but then after it said how much money and awareness it did end up raising, I couldnt really argue with that. [/color]

[color=#810081]I bet people who say about the waste of water wouldnt think twice about spending a few minutes longer in the shower, having a water fight in teh summer, running the tap when they brush their teeth etc.[/color]

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1409590015' post='2541254']
Here's our Justgiving page should anyone feel inclined:

[url="https://www.justgiving.com/SunPuddle/"]https://www.justgiving.com/SunPuddle/[/url]

I don't usually pester people for charity donations/sponsorships, but since my Mum died of MND I am making an exception this time.
[/quote]

Thank you very much Anonymous Member who donated. :-)
xx

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1409578351' post='2541059']
When I get £6000 a week wages like charity executives I'll think about it and that is very bottom end in the salary brackets.
Personally when you are in a band you get sick to death of been chugged.
Musicians need to eat and pay rent as well.
[/quote]
This.
Charity fads are massive tax free swindles.
The CEO of this particular mob is on £300k

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1409576299' post='2541029']
No but always happy to put some money Macmillan nurses way, it's a shame how many people seem to ignore that aspect.
[/quote]

I was on the MND icebucket justgiving page earlier in the week. They were making at least £500 a minute in donations. It's a total myth that people aren't donating.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1409611332' post='2541608']
This.
Charity fads are massive tax free swindles.
The CEO of this particular mob is on £300k
[/quote]

Indeed £6000 a week wage for two days a week, she has another similar job for another chugging outfit the other two and must only work 4 days a week and 12 others are on £4000 a week and the bottom feeders assistants on a lowly £1250 a week .
No disrespect to ill people, but these leeches are professional chuggers that are using your illnesses to make themselves very rich indeed.
Out of £14 million income more than half goes on salaries, nearly 65%.