Why become a member? ×

NBD Fortress surprise

DNKimage

So I bought this.

[url="http://s147.photobucket.com/user/van_donk_III/media/newbass_zps87c3984a.jpg.html"][/url]

And I have to say, It is excellent. Yes, I know it's from the Rockbass stable; but I cant really figure out why. The bolt on neck is comfy and fast, the body is beautifully made and after a quick set up it plays and sounds fantastic. It's virtually new and I got it for less than half the retail price!

Yes of course it's not going to sound like bubinga or wenge, but the ash and maple combined with the MEC gold active circuitry strung through the lovely two piece bridge really sustains and sings. The pickups dont really colour too much at all and a very recognisable 'Warwick sound' was there, if just a little bright. Having the P pickups rolled in a little more than the bridge makes for a great punchy sound with a good bit of heft to it.

I took a risk buying this bass as it has a lot to live up to when compared to its German brethren. I've wanted a fortress since I was about 15 and always saw that modern warwick shape as something to aspire to. Ive missed out on proper pedigree Fortresses before due to bad timing or lack of funds. I was very cautious of it being a crappy Chinese knock off. My thumb bass has pretty much taken a back seat to this as I like a bass that can be a little brighter sounding. I watched that Andy Irvine guy strangle the model he has on youtube a thousand times thinking that the sound he has is doctored to sound like the better ones.

Anyone that's been thinking about getting one of the newer rockbass lines wont be disappointed. A real plus for me was the fact that it doesn't wear that ridiculous looking Rockbass logo on the headstock, just a very familiar 'W' and a much more discreet title on the trussrod cover.

Honestly; this thing is good. A very high quality plank that I think I'll hold onto. That is unless I see a MM kicking about!

Edited by DNKimage