Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe 70's Precision Bass...

Biaeothanata-Bassist

I don't know if i'm behind the times on these but i've only just spotted them and wow, severe case of GAS over these now.

I've just seen the black one with maple blocked and bound fretboard so i had to look in to it more. Total bargain at £364 (GAK/Gear4Music). They're absolutely beautiful, have a nice profiled neck (if the specs i've compared them on are anything to go by) and the vintage tint thick lacquer on the neck will really made that punch come out of them.

Why Fender, why do this when i'm skint. WHY?

Edited by Biaeothanata-Bassist

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1409605398' post='2541526']
I really like the look of these, but why do they keep doing such lovely basses with basswood bodies? Alder please, or ash to be period-correct (spose it would bump the price up tho).
[/quote]

To be fair Lozz, if they did it in alder, it would just be the Fender 70's Precision Bass which is the exact same bass with a white alder body. I agree though, using basswood is a bit poor but it still sounds good and is a bit of a lighter wood which is handy for people like me! haha

I just find that bsswood, when pushed, there`s just a bit of "heft" lacking. Not much, and in all honesty I would only notice it in direct comparison to an alder/ash-bodied bass (and they`d have to be the same type of bass too). If it were just on its own no way would I be able to go "oh, that bass is made of basswood".

I've played a Matt Freeman sig and it felt wonderful. Sounded good too but it was at shop volumes and to be honest I was more taken with the Fender Bassman valve monster I was playing it through!
I've never owned a basswood P bass so can't comment on any tonal shortcomings but I've never noticed anything onthe ones I have tried. Not questioning your expertise of course, Lozz! :lol:

However it's all academic as I think block inlays on a P neck look horrible.

I've just got myself a Classic Vibe 60's P, in Fiesta red
It's absolutely awesome. Love the tone of it, and the dark tint thick lacquer looks great
and the colour is absolutely gorgeous, with a flawless finish

I wouldn't know it's not an alder body without direct comparison,
and maybe not even then

This bass is definitely lighter than my old USA Fender P,
but a tad heavier than my MIA Squier PJ
But well done Squier! I love mine to bits already :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1409683842' post='2542229']
A very nice Squier it has to be said. The CV series is finished/built to a higher standard than the Mexican Standard basses of 10 years ago IMO.
[/quote]

Yes, almost £400 is a lot of money
But you have to remember, Squier have produced a lot of very different instruments, in different factories around the world
And the quality of each model is different
These CV series are absolutely brilliant, I kid you not

I can well recall being in music shops, when the Japan made Squiers were introduced
while customers and staff spoke of them being "Jap Cr@p" .... a hideous, derogatory and incorrect misnoma
I don't know how many of those people had admitted to eating their words - but
many of these Squiers are now justifiably held in high esteem

Yes, you may have been able to buy a Mex built Squier for rather less
But again, Mexican Fenders and Squiers have moved on, and are now far better builds than they once were

I picked up a CV 60's Precision the other day, and it's honestly brilliant
If you haven't tried one yet - you really must

The same day, I played a CV Jazz bass, and a USA Jazz, while trying out an amp
(I also went straight home & plugged my CV, my Mex Jazz and my USA Jazz thru said amp (after buying it)
And I have to say my own CV P bass, and the CV Jazz Squier more than held their own

My CV has drawn me back to P basses - it's better than any USA P I've ever played (and I owned a couple)

It might be more expensive than previous Squiers, but it's another step up in quality

PS. Love the block inlays on that P neck :)

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1409715318' post='2542549']
These are impressive basses. There is a video of Ed Friedland playing the CV range up against the Fender originals and to be honest, the Squier CV P more than holds its own.
[/quote]

Saw this video a couple of weeks back, I actually preferred the sound of the CV Squier to the Fenders! I used to own a Squier VM Jazz in the black/ maple combination and it looked awesome, may have to look into investing in one of these as i'm after a P bass for my collection...

Edited by mike_b

[quote name='mike_b' timestamp='1409746400' post='2542886']

Saw this video a couple of weeks back, I actually preferred the sound of the CV Squier to the Fenders!
[/quote]

I completely agree! It sounded absolutely wicked. Can't have hurt that he ran it through a Genz Benz mind you. But yes, I thought it sounded superior.