Why become a member? ×

NUTZ

Colonel36

My brother had a copy of their live album 'Nutz live Cutz' which wasn't bad for that genre. I think the nucleus of the band reinvented themselves as 'Rage' in the 80's. I saw the singer doing backing vocals when Ian Gillan was promoting his 'Naked Thunder' album at Central TV studios in Nottm around 1990, there's a DVD of it knocking around. I might be wrong but I think the bass player from Nutz might have been in one of the later Groundhogs lineups.

Edited by KevB

Brilliant band. Saw then quite a few times and they always impressed. When they re-emerged as Rage they had painted all their gear pink, strange.

Their singer, David Lloyd, sang on the crunchy ad in the 70s.

There's more here, http://www.lewys.co.uk/Nutz.html and loads to hear here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZ54-bDmhg&index=11&list=PL6A7F53CFB0641BEB

Remember the name from when I was a kid but never saw them.

Looked at the clip and thought that the drummer (John Mylett) was a bit useful, despite seeming to have his rack toms set up ridiculously high! Unsurprisingly, a brief google search shows that he was linked to a number of top bands (including AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Marillion) and turned down the gig with Ozzy Osbourne. Unfortunately he was killed in a car crash on holiday in Ibiza in the early eighties. Apparently the Marillion song ‘Mylo’ on the Misplaced Childhood album was written about him…

Edited by peteb

peteb - I just looked at the 'Balls To The Wall' page and noticed Neil Saxton is in it. An old schoolmate of mine left at 16 (I stayed on for A levels) and one of his earliest jobs was working in the same place as Neil in Cleckheaton where we grew up, probably around the time he was getting Baby Tuckoo together. I did eventually see BT but not until mid 80's after I'd moved to Nottingham. Small world.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1409841609' post='2543859']
peteb - I just looked at the 'Balls To The Wall' page and noticed Neil Saxton is in it. An old schoolmate of mine left at 16 (I stayed on for A levels) and one of his earliest jobs was working in the same place as Neil in Cleckheaton where we grew up, probably around the time he was getting Baby Tuckoo together. I did eventually see BT but not until mid 80's after I'd moved to Nottingham. Small world.
[/quote]
I first met Neil (or Sak as he is generally known around here) when Baby Tuckoo first started gigging about the time I started regularly going to pubs. They became the big local rock band, packing out the likes of the Vaults Bar in Bradford. When I got my first P bass, I lent it to their bass player (Smiggy) a couple of times when they had a bigger gig where an agent was supposed to come and see them!

I'm guessing that you must be around my age and must know quite a few of my mates / ex girlfriends, etc who came from around Cleckheaton. Small world indeed!

Edited by peteb

I was 50 this year so my mate would have worked with 'Sak' around 1980, think it was an engineering firm but could be wrong. I think they worked reasonably closely so next time you see him the guy was called Andrew Smart ('Smarty' as we called him) but long since lost touch with him, last I heard he was living in Scotland. Another odd coincidence is that about 10 years ago I went with a mate to see Letz Zep and got matey for a while with their singer Billy Kulke. Billy was the bass player in Jagged Edge when Rob Armitage was in that band after he left BT!