Why become a member? ×

First ever dep......

Baxter

On Saturday I'm doing my first ever bass dep job! I've sctually seen the band once and there's a rehearsal on Thursday night. 30 covers mostly Jam, Who, Kinks, Small Faces and a bit of soul and a bit of ska. I know pretty much everything but never gigged most of it. However I'm very much looking forward to the experience.

Sounds good, but generally a dep, IMO means you have never met the band until the gig and you have
either dots or charts to work from or the set is so buskable you do it all by ear and a few notes.

But, sure, it should give you confidence to do things with the minimum of preperation.... or not enough
and it should also be good training for your ear, so once you know where the songs goes in your head
you can hear the changes and go to them. If they aren't obvious where they are coming, then a visual cue
will do...

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1409746966' post='2542892']

+1
Agree with that, I'm mainly depping now apart from my acoustic side project.
[/quote]
Assuming that you are still local, there is a rock band looking for a dep on Saturday night (I have depped for them a couple of times before but unfortunately I can't make this one).

Drop me a PM if you are interested and I will pass your details on to them (assuming that they are not already sorted)...

Good luck! Most importantly enjoy yourself!

I personally enjoy depping as you get so many experiences, I've always made friends first with the drummer of any project I've been involved with as this makes life easier! Playing with a drummer that you're unfamiliar with can be daunting! I've depped for bands before where we've not had a rehearsal at all so I've practiced to a metronome and a backing track/the version they play and found the drummers to either be stupidly sped up or nowhere near tight enough, but there's nothing like reacting to a situation and making it all work!

Seriously hope it goes well for you! :)