Why become a member? ×

What cab - Laney or Peavey

isteen

I am getting a new 4x10 cabinet.
I could get a new Laney RB410 600 watt, or for half the price get a 5 y.o. Peavey 350 watt.
I don't know if either of them is from a cheap series like the Hartke TP - but Hartke Transporter series is [i][b]not[/b][/i] what I'm looking for.

What cabinet sounds best (I know, not a very scientific question), but is either of the cabs from a cheap discount series?
Sorry, I don't have the exact name of the Peavey cab, but I'll try to enclose images of both cabinets.

Thanks

Sorry if the images aren't showing up - here are the direct links to the images
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2576680/peavey.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2576680/Laney.jpg

I don't know what series the Peavey is from, other than it's 5 years old, and 350 watt

No contest, second hand peavey any time. Get two if they are half the price.

That picture doesn't look like a 410TVX, they had a higher rating (700w) and a red logo plate. Seek out one of them or the earlier 410TX, great sounding cabs for the money if you can cope with the weight.

There is a Laney stack in our rehearsal room with 4x10 and 1x15. It sounds horrible whatever you do to it and my tecamp puma 110 combo is louder and sounds better.

I'll take a Peavey over a Laney every time if it's for gigging. Peavey stuff is damn solid. The two Laney amps I've had (all valve small guitar amp, and a PA floor monitor) both needed repairing withing a few years... the Peavey amp I have and PA mixer have both been going 14 years now and never had a single problem, even after dropping the amp down two flights of concrete steps (I think my nerves suffered more damage than the amp, which just needed a new handle).

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1410304803' post='2548117']
My first proper amp was a Laney combo. I would get the Peavey.
[/quote]

I used a PV combo and the best I could say out it would be it took some abuse and some... but then
it sounded like it was always on the verge of blowing up anyway..and never did, which was its one redeeming
feature.

For the money, I'd go PV..but would also say, you need to save some more so as to spend well, not twice..