Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird reverse, non reverse.

gelfin

History. It started with the Thunderbird, which just had a reverse body. The non-reverse came later - IMS after Jeff Tracy and Lady Penelope sued Gibson as they felt THEY had the rights to both Thunderbird 2 and Thunderbird 4. ;)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1409695260' post='2542447']
If it started with a Thunderbird with a reverse body, how do we know it was reverse?
[/quote]

Because it was/is the wrong way round - the bottom horn extending more than the top one (not that it really had/has one) in direct contrast with all its contemporaries at the time?

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1409695260' post='2542447']
If it started with a Thunderbird with a reverse body, how do we know it was reverse?
[/quote]

They didn't call the MK 1 Thunderbird/Firebird "reverse" at the time of course. But people do now, because it's pretty much a flipped-over Fender Jazzmaster, which came out four years earlier.

But the OP is basically right, the whole "reverse" terminology originates in geeky early '80s vintage dealer hindsightism that crumbles, biscuit-like, under the mildest scrutiny.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1409708832' post='2542545']
They didn't call the MK 1 Thunderbird/Firebird "reverse" at the time of course. But people do now, because it's pretty much a flipped-over Fender Jazzmaster, which came out four years earlier.

But the OP is basically right, the whole "reverse" terminology originates in geeky early '80s vintage dealer hindsightism that crumbles, biscuit-like, under the mildest scrutiny.
[/quote]

"People do now" - including Gibson themselves.

I won't debate the origins of the terminology with you because I don't know any better than what you've said, but it is terminology which Gibson have officially embraced.
Product officially called "Thunderbird Non-Reverse Bass" - [url="http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Thunderbird-Non-Reverse-Bass.aspx"]http://www2.gibson.c...verse-Bass.aspx[/url]
There's a nod to reverseness in the official blurb for the Gibson Thunderbird IV - "The Thunderbird’s unique “reversed” zig-zag body design"
You can call it revisionary if you like, but it's coming from the mouth of the horse which makes the damn things, even if the horse didn't think of it first and that in itself is official enough for me.

EDIT: Debate on - I found something. Gibson been using the term "reverse" in official blurb at least as early as 1976 with the introduction of the "Bicentennial" Thunderbird (complete with misprinted scale length - ha, just noticed that) - catalogue scan courtesy of flyguitars.com

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1409736169' post='2542723']
I read that it was (pre-eastern copies) because the shape was too similar to a Fender at the time. Gibson were made to cease and desist by Fender for making something too similar to their designs. Gibson's response was to 'reverse' the body, taking it away from the offset-body-with-top-horn look, and making the classic shape we know and love.

It seems laughable now, as the majority of the bass and guitar market is indistinguishable from Fender, even for those in the know, let alone the average passer by!

Still, if correct, that is why the classic look is the 'reverse' body, and the other way round, like the original design, is 'non-reverse', which to today's eyes looks absolutely nothing like a Fender!
[/quote]

I am maybe reading you wrong, but it seems to me that you have "reversed" things (ba-doom tish) - the original design was the "reverse" (1963-65) with the bigger bottom horn, neck through construction. The non-reverse came after (1966-69) with the more traditional bigger top horn, set neck. Then the "reverse" design came back with the Bicentennial in 1976-79. The "reverse" Thunderbird came back officially for good in 1987. The non-reverse made a limited run reappearance in 2012, still a few Pelham Blue ones left at Thomann for a very reasonable price ;)