Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz ! But from where ???

patrikmarky

Finally thinking after 32 years of playing bass ..I'm gonna get a fender jazz !!;).. Will be 5 string and passive ..do I go USA ..Mexico ..japan...or china ...I'm not sure on spending four zero's on one ..
The modern Chinese range looks nice and has had some great reviews ....of course as we all know
May mean nothing ; () ..any views ...

Play a range and buy the one your hands like the best. Tone-wise pickups/electrics can be upgraded, but get a bass you love playing and it inspires you very time you pick it up. Current US models are great, I`m talking from experience with Precisions here, not Jazzes though. I`ve just picked up a 2008 MIM Precision which plays like a dream, as did the 2009 one I had a while back, so post 2008 MIMs are also worth a look - I find them a lot better than the older ones. And for necks, Japanese Fenders are reknown for being really good. It`s all in the hands though, so get out there and try as many as you can, one will sing to you.

you really have to watch it with some Fender Japan, they are good, but not USA Fender like the non export. for the same money second hand you can get a USA for the same cash. i got a fender USA Jazz 5 on top tuners for £490.00. the question is whats your budget.? go USA if you can find one.

I'd been on the lookout for a jazz for ages. Much as I love MIJ stuff, the one Japanese jazz I had briefly about five years ago was just ok, rather than great.

After much trawling on internet picked up a secondhand 15 year old USA jazz in great nick for the same sort of price as you'd expect to pay for a new MIJ or MIM.

For me, the USA-made stuff just has something that most far eastern stuff doesn't have, and I'd reckon they hold their value better too. If you can afford USA, for for it. Saying that, there are plenty of good MIJ and MIM basses out there too!

I was in the same boat a while ago - tried every jazz I could get my hands on.

The MIMs are perfectly fine but their new price is knocking on the door of the 2nd hand price for an American standard which are substantially nicer.

I've not played a Fender from Japan so can't comment on those but if you get the chance to buy a second hand US Fender that you like the feel & sound of I'd go down that route (or at least that's what I did).

I've played quite a number of Jazzes over the past couple of years
But the best by a long way, is my MIM Roadworn Jazz
It's an absolute stunner, honestly...

Having tried several different Squier and Fender options recently,
The new china-made CV Squiers are brilliant, as are some of the newer Mexican Fenders
I've got a USA Fender, and it's great - but not as good as my Roadworn

Just play as many as you can, and get the one that you like the most
and as LukeFRC says, don't worry too much about what it says on the headstock......

Cheers
and enjoy the search......

In my time... Hehehe long ago...not all Fenders were the same so we tryed three time the bass before buying...thought twice...and buy once.
But then we had the Fenders made only in USA. At least we were ok with our one and only instrument for a long period of time and later the most of these basses became Keepers...see Real Roadworn and why not Legends.
Now the most of us we just buy from internet looking at photos, Fenders made in China, and Ampegs made in Vietnam... And after we claim that this or that are not good enough for our taste or level.
I believe that we still have to work hard to earn our money so, I do care what is written on the headstock ( and back) and I would not pay a penny for a mediocre bass or anything else.
But it's just me.
Best

Edited by TheSiberian

In my time... Hehehe long ago...not all Fenders were the same, so we tryed three time the bass before buying...thought twice...and buy once.
But then we had the Fenders made only in USA. At least we were ok with our one and only instrument for a long period of time and later the most of these basses became Keepers...see Real Roadworn and why not Legends.
Now the most of us we just buy from internet looking at photos, Fenders made in China, and Ampegs made in Vietnam... And after we claim that this or that are not good enough for our taste or level.
I believe that we still have to work hard to earn our money so, I do care what is written on the headstock ( and back) and I would not pay a penny for a mediocre bass or anything else.
But it's just me.
Best

Second hand 2008 - present American Standard Jazz gets my vote!!!
Simply the best in my experience so far.

Build quality is superb, flawless finishes and man, can they sing! And the 2012 - current models have Custom Shop pups in them!
Had a few Jazz basses over the years and then moved almost completely to Precisions only. Got lucky last year in a trade and ended up with a 2011 Am Std Jazz and overall, I swear it is the best bass I've ever owned.
It is stunning to look at, hold and play. It's light, the neck feels perfect and it has so much growl! I imagine if it had the word Sadowsky on the headstock it would easily command three times the price and that seems to be the only difference that I can find find between the two (based on the handful of Sadowsky models I've been lucky enough to try). Who knew Fender could make 'super-Jazz' basses themselves?!
I read on another forum recently: "The Jazz is like a sexy young mistress, but you always go back to your loyal wife, the Precision!" don't know what to make of that really. :lol: Can't we all just get along...

Try some Japanese Jazzes too - there are some great ones out there. Haven't had too much experience with any of the new Squier CV/ZVM Jazz models but i hear they are excellent!

Try the marketplace section on this site, won't cost you four zeros... :)

Whilst I haven't taken a lot of time on new Fenders as I am just not in the market, the one that has caught my eye
is the American Deluxe J5.
Failing that and a bit of a price break, I'd include Lakland but I've found the sound just a little weak, so keep an eye
out for one that has a pre installed... Of course, it also depends what pre, but I think you could look at active Laklands
for £800-ish and the Deluxes from £1k...S/H

If the Squier VM Jazz 5 string is as good as my VM Precision 5 (don't see why not) then have a stab at one of those I say.
I had mine set up professionally and slapped some nickel DR low riders on and it's brilliant.
My P5 was £249 new so what are you gonna lose if you do want to move it on? £80 or so max? Safe bet really.

Edited by miles'tone