Why become a member? ×

Mac software/app for learning songs

Osiris

I've just got my first Mac, a diddy little Mabook air, after moving over from Windows and would like to know if there is any software that people can recommend to use to help with learning songs.
The main features that I'm after are the ability to loop a specific section of music and to change the pitch and tempo of the section being played.

I used to use Best Practice on the PC, which although a bit dated, did the job brilliantly. So I'm after a Mac equivalent, if such a thing should exist - and is not stupidly expensive.
I've trawled the app store and can't find anything that appears to meet all of my needs.

Can anyone suggest something suitable?

I have a neat little app on my Apple phone, called Robick, that does exactly what you're looking for. Here's a link to it... but I'm not sure whether it's available as a desktop app to be run on your Macbook:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/robick/id417016186?mt=8

I'd also recommend having a look at Reaper - it's a full digital audio workstation (DAW), and so it will do a lot more in addition to what you're looking for! But that's no bad thing and you may even end up exploring the world of music production after having a dabble with it. Reaper is available under a free, unlimited trial license from here:

http://www.reaper.fm

Have fun :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Robick isn't available for Mac, it looks like its iphone/ipad only.
Reaper looks a bit scary to me ;) I'm a less-is-more person, although it could be something worth investigating in future.

Transcribe and [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Amazing Slow Downer look more like the sort of thing I have in mind.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TKenrick, h[/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]ow do you loop using QuickTime 7? I figured out the tempo and pitch controls but couldn't find anything to loop sections with. Any words of wisdom much appreciated![/color][/font]

You can loop in Quicktime by dragging the little markers next to the playhead (I'm sure that there's a technical name for them...).

[attachment=171916:Screen shot 2014-09-17 at 13.16.50.png]

[attachment=171917:Screen shot 2014-09-17 at 13.17.18.png]

Once you've found the right in and out points then press command + T (plays only the marked section) then command + L (turns looping on/off)

Hope this helps!

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1409822240' post='2543595']
Transcribe, although I'm not entirely sure you can run it on a mac!
[/quote]

Transcribe works fine on Mac's, I use it exactly for the purpose mentioned by the OP.

You can also use Logic or Garageband for the same purpose, just import the song you're learning as an audio file.

:)

:)