Why become a member? ×

speaker on the way out ??

Dr.Dave

I've blown a speaker or two in my time. Usually they've gone farty and when I've tried moving the cone around with my fingers I can feel the 'scrape'. Other's have looked like someone's taken a razor to them and one just gave up and died on the spot. So - my GK 2x10 combo. After several years fault free - low E = farty sound. Get's better when I roll some bass end off but it's def. there using the settings I normally play with. Blown speaker - thought I. Trouble is - I've cracked it open and examined the drivers - including the 'scrape' test ... can't find a problem. Anybody got any ideas for checks I can make before I send Mr Eminence his Xmas bonus ?? No batts in my passive bass to get weak ( which I've had cause farty sounds in the past) No cables come loose resting against the cone. Maybe it's the first sign of a speaker on the way out - not sure. Stumped with this one.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1409758273' post='2543022']
presumably you've already done the obvious 'trying it with different basses etc' thing just to rule out everything else?
[/quote]
Yep. Worse with the active stingray , turn the bass up and it goes haywire anywhere below the A string.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1409759839' post='2543038']
Yep. Worse with the active stingray , turn the bass up and it goes haywire anywhere below the A string.
[/quote]

bu*ger! hope it's just slightly perished foam (which can be replaced) and not summat more serious internal to the amp!

I think I was in Trad the day you picked that GK combo up (assuming it's the same one), it was rather a long time ago so if nothing's gone wrong with it thus far it's done superbly for you :)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1409760425' post='2543043']
bu*ger! hope it's just slightly perished foam (which can be replaced) and not summat more serious internal to the amp!

I think I was in Trad the day you picked that GK combo up (assuming it's the same one), it was rather a long time ago so if nothing's gone wrong with it thus far it's done superbly for you :)
[/quote]
That was a kickback model - went years ago to a bloke in Hungary of all places. I've stuck with the GKs though - had them since Trace Elliot went furry and crap at the same time ! The foam looks OK , pretty sure it's not the amp. section. I bloody hate spending my brass on replacement stuff. Don't mind if I get new toys to play with but existing stuff going wrong.......... that's why my strings are pre-CBS ! Main thing is I want to be sure the speakers are jacobsed before I shell out. Last year I sent 800 spots on a new hot water tank and a plumber ( twat of the very first order too) because there was 50 gallons of water in my narrowboat bilge. Turned out to be a leaky window that I fixed for £1.79 for sealant. There was nothing wrong with the old hot water tank ! Don't want to make similar mistakes that cost me !

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1409760425' post='2543043']

[/quote]
BTW - just looked at your gig pics. You've lost your hair , got a goatee and put some pork on round the middle - you look worryingly like me !

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1409773669' post='2543278']
Spose you've tried the other obvious, something else loose in the cab, like handles, the baffle or the back etc..

Hows about the thin end of the cone ? Had the 'hinge' start to come away once or twice where its glued to the frame, usually with old gear. though. Just glued it back and all was well

[/quote]

Had this happen to a GK 15" driver. the adhesive sticking the spider to the magnet housing was coming adrift. Low notes caused the farting sound.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1409775641' post='2543324']
Had this happen to a GK 15" driver. the adhesive sticking the spider to the magnet housing was coming adrift. Low notes caused the farting sound.
[/quote]

Same happened to me with a old Trace Elliot Combo, the spider came loose on a spot in the glued joint where the spider attaches the cone. A bit of contact glue solved it and that amp is still running strong with a friend playing in a punk rock band. The best way to spot this is really by pressing the spider with your fingers and see if it's loose.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1409762478' post='2543074']
BTW - just looked at your gig pics. You've lost your hair , got a goatee and put some pork on round the middle - you look worryingly like me !
[/quote]

haha! I'm worried I look like you :shok:

the hair's just short (honest guv!) although the front is definitely further back than it used to be ;)
the goatee has been a fixture since I was 16 so that's not new as such, it is a lot longer and greyer than ever before though :o
...and, as for the pork it's not just pork I'll have you know, at least some of it is donner meat and cake :thank_you: I was definitely thinner in my Trad days!

I have just had to replace a driver in a GK210 RBH. bought it from fleabay. Got it tried it out and one of the drivers voice coils is rubbing.
Fortunately the seller agrred straight away to pay for replacement.

Bad news for Dr Dave is that they cost £122.40 plus VAT from Polar audio and I have just bought the last one they have in stock.