Why become a member? ×

Boss ODB-3 vs or in conjunction with higher-end pedals?

Rob_RDG

So. I know the OD/Distortion debate has been done to death but I've got a very specific query which can only [i]really[/i] be answered via experimentation but I figure there will be some useful opinions/experience here.

I bought an ODB-3 last year and have found it useful but with limited applications. Main issues (and I know I'm not alone here) are that it's more of a distortion than OD pedal, it cuts out a whole bunch of low-end and it hisses like an angry snake.

I do like the fuzz tone if it's just me & the drummer playing but as soon as the rest of the band kicks in you just can't feel the bass at all.

Within my budget, I've variously had the Sansamp VT and Darkglass B3k recommended as potential replacements and looking on Youtube they both sound great (though I'm tending towards the B3K as it seems to be brighter with a bit more bite).

The [i]real[/i] n00b question here, though, is: Does anyone have any experience of using either of these pedals [b]in conjunction[/b] with the ODB-3? I like to experiment with sounds and i wonder if adding some genuine OD to the Boss' fuzz might give me what I'm after. Or would you just sell the Boss, buy one of the higher-end pedals and never look back?

thanks in advance!

I run an Xotic BB Bass preamp as my 'core' dirty tone, then drop other dirt boxes in and out as and when I can get away with it ;) . There's no reason why the ODB3 (which has its limitations, let's be honest) can't provide an [i]effect[/i] to add a different colour or sound to a passage. Go for it and experiment with where you place it in the signal chain, you might discover something new and find it an indispensable piece of kit.

[quote name='Rob_RDG' timestamp='1409762708' post='2543081']it's more of a distortion than OD pedal, it cuts out a whole bunch of low-end and it hisses like an angry snake.

I do like the fuzz tone if it's just me & the drummer playing but as soon as the rest of the band kicks in you just can't feel the bass at all.
[/quote]

This is not my experience, the pedal has TONS of low end on tap and can boost what your instrument is putting out in the bass department. It does have a big mid scoop though which can make it disappear in a mix. It is noisy, but I don't find the top end a problem as I run into an Orange Terror Bass which is quite a dark sounding amp plus the tube smoothes things out, into sealed cabs without tweeters. I run my EQ knobs and blend around 1 o'clock, gain about 3 o'clock for raging distortion.

[quote name='Rob_RDG' timestamp='1409768099' post='2543165']
That's really helpful, even without the edit :) thanks. So if I wanted to get the fuzz/distortion thst the OdB3 gives with the blend/eq maxed out, the b3k can achieve that too?
[/quote]

The B3K won't even get close, it has it's own sound and it's nowhere near as high gain and doesn't have as much low end as the ODB-3. It's a great pedal for the modern grindy metal sound, although I would take a B7K personally as I found the B3K a bit weak on the lows and too peaky in the high mids.

I've tried loads of high end bass overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals, yet love the ODB-3 so much I have two of em! One is going to receive the Monte Allums Tri-Gain mod kit I've been sitting on for eons when I muster up the motivation to get my soldering iron out! I only like it with certain basses (Stingray or Jazz / PJ with both pickups) at high gain settings, it just rips yet still has plenty of thump and definition. It also sounds amazing with a wah going into it. Not a pedal for everyone though.

When it comes to combining other dirt pedals with the ODB-3 though, I find it sounds pretty much the same no matter what you feed into it (unless you have the gain and blend lowered to let more of the source tone through). The tone of it can be sculpted by feeding it into another overdrive though, particularly one with a speaker-sim like high end rolloff like the Tonehammer, VT Bass, or Darkglass stuff which can really tame those fizzy highs if you are using tweeters for example.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1409785745' post='2543453']

love the ODB-3 so much I have two of em! One is going to receive the Monte Allums Tri-Gain mod kit I've been sitting on for eons when I muster up the motivation to get my soldering iron out! I only like it with certain basses (Stingray or Jazz / PJ with both pickups) at high gain settings, it just rips yet still has plenty of thump and definition. It also sounds amazing with a wah going into it. Not a pedal for everyone though.

[/quote]

That's interesting as I play aerodynes, so have both the jazz and p bass pups and the I've found the difference in tone from the pedal when the JB is on and off is staggering. More so on the stock pickups than the Aguilar ones to be fair. Dat hum though.

Like I said, I don't dislike it and won't be selling it but I think I'll probably see what results I get with a tonehammer or a vt bass and take stock once I've found somewhere that physically sells them (only one semi-decent shop for effects in my town sadly)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1409785745' post='2543453']
This is not my experience, the pedal has TONS of low end on tap and can boost what your instrument is putting out in the bass department
[/quote]

This is the truth. I use mine on very low gain as a bass boost and I love it. I wouldn't use it for a high gain sound. It does play well with other pedals IME and I like to put a fuzz before it. In particular I like the Tech 21 XXL and the Red Llama for high gain dirt before the ODB3

[quote name='Rob_RDG' timestamp='1409828224' post='2543655']
Have you ever tried the Fulltone bass drive? One of my personal favourite players, Dan Andriano of Alkaline Trio, runs one at all times and I love the growly tone he gets out of his P-bass
[/quote]

Not tried that one, but have heard others recommend the BB Preamp as a similar sounding pedal but with more lows. I do like the BB Pre, it has a mid boost that really makes the bass stand out in a heavy mix more so than any other dirt pedal I've used. I imagine most tubescreamer derived pedals are good at this!

Edited by dannybuoy

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the OBD-3 on a low gain setting with a Wren and Cuff Phat phuck into loop A of a loop pedal so I could use them independantly of each other or combinded in that one loop. Thought they paired well together and offered a nice colour individually and together - as they were in the loop I could do the tap dancing during the verse then kick them in together for the heavy bits or as required.

I thought it sounded pretty massive :)

Edited by krispn