Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Bz-6000

zord

Hi Zord.

As Kodiakblair says, Owen has ordered the BZ-6000. The BZ range appear to be in two pairs. The BZ4000 and BZ5000 are (if I remember correctly) 34" scale, and have normal shaped humbuckers. The BZ6000 and BZ7000 are 35" scale, and have thinner humbuckers. Not as slim as the double blade (I believe) humbuckers on the Ibanez BTB7 (and 6?), but quite narrow.

Hence, if you're interested in the BZ6000, then it will be closer to my 7 string than KB's 4 string.

Until Owen reviews his BZ6000, could I ask you what you are expecting from the bass? Are you expecting something as good as anything quality, or are you prepared to accept something which is very good for the modest price paid? While I haven't played one, from what I've heard and read, the Ibanez BTB range are better basses. But, they cost a fair bit more. I'm tempted to highly recommend the BZ6000 to you as the BZ7000 suits me very well. But, if you are or are aiming to be working at a professional level, then the BZ6000 may not suit you.

Have you played a bass with an ebonol fretboard? I'm told that people love them or hate them. I definitely like them.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Hi Annoying Twit

I want the bass to have fun with 6 strings, to study and perhaps for use in a covers band. Until now had only 5 string basses. For this you advise?
My biggest concern is the spacing between the strings because I have small fingers (I think) and so I have two basses warwick and a ibanez sr 705 who are between 16.5 mm and 17 mm. I had two basses yamaha and for that reason I had to sell.

As for the sound I wonder if the problemth the noise in active preamp continues or is solved?

I haven't had much trouble with a noisy preamp, most of the time it's quite quiet. When I ran the bass in active mode through a Behringer BDI21 and then into a Zoom B2, that was noisy. But, when I switch off the active electronics or don't use the BDI21, then it's fine.

If you are concerned about string spacing and 'have small hands', then I wonder if this is the instrument for you. I seem to have reasonably OK sized hands for these instruments. I think the string spacing on mine is about 16-17mm or so. The BZ6000 is unlikely to be narrower, I would guess.

You say that you played a Warwick and had trouble with the string spacing. I don't have a Warwick but just pulled out my Rockbass Streamer Standard V. I haven't measured it exactly, but I think the string spacing is narrower than my Harley Benton 7. Given what you write, do you want a low B string? If not, then something in the ballpark of a Squier Bass VI which will have narrow string spacing may be better for you.

A 5 string is good for a covers band because there are songs around that use the low notes. I'm not sure that a six string is really necessary for a covers band unless you're a Dream Theatre tribute band. I find basses with lots of strings to be fun, and you can do a lot with them.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I had trouble with the yamaha basses so i have sell them. Yamaha have 18 mm string space.
Warwick and ibanez are fine to me.
I have 3 basses with 5 strings so now i want to try the 6 string. I love dream teather so this is one reason to buy a 6 string bass.

Sorry for my bad english :(

Which country are you in? You can always buy the six string, see how you get on with it, and then return it if you don't like it. This may depend on where you are in the world. It certainly can work if you're in the UK.

I can't measure the string spacing on mine exactly as all I seem to have to measure with at the moment is a single plastic ruler, and I can't read the measurements without better lighting than I have. E.g. I'll have to remember to measure the strings in daylight.

I think my Rockbass has a narrower string spacing. I'll try measuring using a ruler and a torch!

56mm across five strings centre of string to centre of string @24th fret on the Rockbass. = 14mm spacing.

88mm across seven strings @24th fret on the Harley Benton = 14.6mm spacing. So, not much different. But, the ruler was rocking a bit, so it might actually be up to 90mm, or 15mm spacing. It shouldn't be bigger than that. I hope.

However, I have measured the string spacing on this bass several times and obtained a different figure each time --> not much faith should be taken in this measurement.

Edited by Annoying Twit

• 1 month later...

I guess I should chime in here then! I have it, it is a nice bass for what it is. It is not a Ken Smith or a Fodera butI have enjoyed messing with it but have confirmed (again) that 6 strings are not for me. The fit and finish is great on it, the spacing is 16.5/17mm as close as my eyes will let me see. The sound is good. The pre-amp is not a Fodera, but it is not overly noisy - I have heard worse and better. I am going to sell it and will put it up for £180 later on. It is not the lightest bass but as an entry into 6 string land it is very very fine indeed.

• 1 month later...