Why become a member? ×

ear plugs, cheaper alternatives?

lefrash

First of all I must say that my band is not massively loud. We dont have any high gain guitars therefore the main isue I have is cymbals. Recently though I've started wearing ear plugs. Over a period of 3 months though I've lost 2 sets. The ones I've bought have been great. Only really getting rid of the high tings but still keeping everything else loud. The pairs I've bought have been from drum shops and they've been about £13-£20 a set. Obviously its not a lot of money, and I really should be able to look after my things, but I know fine well i will always lose them after a while.

The bulk order ones I can find are only the really cheap ones which are just bits of sponge and cut out all sound. Are there any out there that are moulded inears without having to pay £15 a pop?

Not wishing to be pessimistic, but imagine reading this thread back in 20 years time, suffering from irremediable hearing loss and bad tinnitus. That's what awaits most folks that neglect their hearing. How do I know this..? Don't ask. :([size=4] [/size]
Get good ones; look after them. End of.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1409770950' post='2543212']
Not wishing to be pessimistic, but imagine reading this thread back in 20 years time, suffering from irremediable hearing loss and bad tinnitus. That's what awaits most folks that neglect their hearing. How do I know this..? Don't ask. :(
Get good ones; look after them. End of.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

nope it doesnt! haha

IMO, £15 is quite a low price for moulded protection. I'm in France, and don't know the 'local' market, and my protection came from my employer at the time. They cost around £100 or so, and were far from the most expensive available. If you find cheaper ones that are effective, go for it, certainly, but, as with many things, you get what you pay for. There's a limit to what any of us can afford; we are not all rich. Be careful, however to not make a false economy, that's all. In any case, look after your stuff; all the more so if you're not uber-rich..! ;)[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

I don't think you can expect to pay less than you are already paying and be able to get anything that is going to be safe or efficient.

I guess small things are easy to lose and because of this I have a routine post gig, of immediately removing my plugs, putting them back in their little storage tin and from there straight into the accessories pocket of my gig bag, job done. :)

These are the ones that I've been using for the last couple of years. [url="https://www.proguarduk.co.uk/products/allproducts/product/268-proguard-lin-ear-pr10"]https://www.proguard...rd-lin-ear-pr10[/url]

I've been using those yellow spongy things and fender rubbery ear plugs for about 10 years when I was doing a lot of guitar gigs. Whilst they were fine at cutting down the volume on-stage, they do not attenuate the music in an even way so it was difficult to manage my tone and volume relative to the other instruments. For bass I found them to be almost useless and it became difficult to hear the pitch of my notes properly. I have now gone for the full in ear moulded plugs by ACS and they are great.
Just after i got them though I found this type of thing on ebay which may be a compromise between the foam and the custom moulded ones and also in the price range you are searching.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Custom-Molded-Silicone-Ear-Plugs-Custom-Fit-2-PAIRS-Quick-Dispatch-/321252036042?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item4acc1d0dca

Have a look at a set of ACS Pacato earplugs. Cheap, but comfortable enough to stay in your ear with the all important filter. Obviously, if you can go the full deal and get some moulded, that's where you want to be. But from my experience of the xmas trees, the full on moulds, doc's proplugs, the yellow foam things and the Pacatos... the Pacatos are where you want to be on a budget.

I have ones similar to the pacato ones, same brand (ACS) different range. But they have a string to attach them together and you can keep them around your neck while between sets or taking a break from practise without putting them down and loosing them. (This being said I have still managed to misplace 2 sets of them as I left the case off my keys and lost the case...

But now they are firmly attached to my keys... which if I loose I'm screwed!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1409814803' post='2543513']
I don't think you can expect to pay less than you are already paying and be able to get anything that is going to be safe or efficient.

I guess small things are easy to lose and because of this I have a routine post gig, of immediately removing my plugs, putting them back in their little storage tin and from there straight into the accessories pocket of my gig bag, job done. :)

These are the ones that I've been using for the last couple of years. [url="https://www.proguarduk.co.uk/products/allproducts/product/268-proguard-lin-ear-pr10"]https://www.proguard...rd-lin-ear-pr10[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation Gary. I saw they also supply plugs designed for musicians and ordered 2 pairs. (An extra set for Mrs G when she comes along. )

Back in my biking days we used to say, "if you've got a cheap head, then buy a cheap helmet...)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1409845808' post='2543904']
Have a look at a set of ACS Pacato earplugs. Cheap, but comfortable enough to stay in your ear with the all important filter. Obviously, if you can go the full deal and get some moulded, that's where you want to be. But from my experience of the xmas trees, the full on moulds, doc's proplugs, the yellow foam things and the Pacatos... the Pacatos are where you want to be on a budget.
[/quote]

Our drummer uses these and thinks they're great. He lost one recently and asked me to get him a replacement set from ACS when i was passing. Look good value at £13.00 a set.