Why become a member? ×

Ashdown or Ampeg

Dickyc1981

After everyones great help with my valve amps question, I now have moved on to cabs.

Today I tried my setup and was working through some borrowed amps and a couple of different cabs. I tried an Aguliar 1x15, Ashdown 2 x 12 and an Ampeg 4 x 10.

The Ampeg sounded really nice but a little flappy at high volumes.

So, not a simple Ashdown Vs Ampeg question but............

Is a high end Ashdown cab going to be much batter than my Ampeg B410HLF?

Obviously I would love an SVT or similar but I would like to upgrade and Ashdown is about what I can stretch to!!!!

Better is only really in the ears of the user. I`ve played through some very expensive rigs and not liked them, and played through budget 210 combos and loved the sound. The difficulty is trying these things out - unless you decide to go for distant selling regs and order over the internet. Sure you have to pay shipping charges if returning, but it`s a small price for getting the right cab - as long as you don`t have to do it too many times that is.

I've played through a lot of various Ashdown cabs provided as backbone at venues over the past couple of years and have not found them able to reproduce the sound I need from my bass, they just sound muddy. I agree with the other posters, try as many cabs that you can and listen critically and also with the cab behind you as that is how you will usually be listening to it on-stage.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1409775068' post='2543315']
I regularly play through an Ampeg 4x10 and it's fantastic. I've owned Ashdown ABM cabs before but they don't compare very well with the Ampeg.
[/quote]

My opinion is the opposite.

The ampeg cabs I've used either have thick indistinct rumble and/or clicky tweeter.

The best ashdowns I've used were the mag410s. Used two of them against 2 very loud guitarists and they were fantastic. It was the two I traded with Conan ages ago. The 37kg weight of each one eventually did my box in.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1410303309' post='2548109']
My opinion is the opposite.

The ampeg cabs I've used either have thick indistinct rumble and/or clicky tweeter.

The best ashdowns I've used were the mag410s. Used two of them against 2 very loud guitarists and they were fantastic. It was the two I traded with Conan ages ago. The 37kg weight of each one eventually did my box in.
[/quote]

The cab the Ampeg replaced was an Ashdown Mag.

There you go...that ^ explains a lot.

Ashdown doesn't work for me and Ampeg would be my choice out of those two.
Having said that, I used a Ashdown NEO 210 combo and it perform well so maybe
you need to know your way around the various models to find what you want.
I don't get why companies add to the confusion with multiple product lines...
as generalisations like Ashdown is crap might not apply to whole range, but
it only takes one bad cab to doom quite a product range..???

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1410475100' post='2549945']
The Ampeg B410HLF is their bassiest 410. (the deep cabinet that tilts back to move) Next comes the PF 410 with ports on the back. There is a sealed 410 also that is like a SVT .
[/quote]

The B410HLF doesn't tilt back to move, that's the SVT410HLF. Ampeg did do a 410HE sealed cab in both the B and SVT ranges. However, the B series range is now discontinued.

[quote name='Anders' timestamp='1410556579' post='2550861']
If by better cab you mean a cab that actually works better I would not go with Ashdown that's for sure,from the ones i've tried.I would wait for the right one which may be a bit more expensive to come up.
[/quote]

Have you tried the CL Range of cabs?

I agree with many people above that I'd favour most ampeg cabs and amps over ashdown.

I can't see why ashdowns are so popular. I'm not just talking about not being able to do nice clean sounds, I love rock sounds, and love the drive and roughness from oranges and ampegs, but I can't see ashdown's niche. they often sound muddy and flappy and boomy. Apart from the MAG series, which have always been very good for the price.

This is only my experience so far. Having said this I'll probably find myself proved wrong next time i use one!

Edited by Harrythebassdawg

I don't think I'll ever part with my Ampeg B115E cab. To my ears it gives an even warm tone across the bass spectrum, it's made of ply, good handles, on castors & easy to move.

The Ashdown equivalent I tried was the ABM115. Tremendous low end, someone mentioned mud, & not much else. Very heavy - chipboard, I could hardly lift it.

I have used Peavey TVX cabs, great value for money, but I agree with the majority advice & say stick with the SVT range.

Edited by grandad

• 4 weeks later...

It can also depend on where you hear a cab. I've tried cabs in one venue that sounded amazing , but then in another , sounded muddy. Quite often a cab at lower volume doesn't sound as good when it's really working. Echoey places can really spoil the sound of what would be a good cab. I would just take that into consideration when deciding

Mmm .everyones hearing varies what I hear in a cab may not suit you and likewise ,try every cab you can get your hands on .you could spend hundreds on one cab and a couple k on a pair then not like them when you get them home .it happens been there done that .ive also played cabs and combo which are dirt cheap and sounded great as mentioned earlier .just have a word with other bass player and get their views .i am happy with my set up at the moment but I never rule out changing it ,if it does not give what I want anymore and I've had some rigs but that's another story !