Why become a member? ×

Buying used strings ?

ambient

Plenty on here have bought and sold DB strings.. so long as the price feels ok reflecting the age and condition it allows you to try different sets without quite such a major financial commitment, or at least have a keep-you-going spare set for gigging. I certainly benefitted from this in the past.
If it's of interest, I have a couple of sets of unused Innovation Braided, one still in the box, as I'm switching to the new Innovation set as it comes on line.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1409830784' post='2543699']
Sorry jumped in a bit quick there, didn't realise we were in the Double basses forum :blush:
[/quote]

No problem, thanks anyway :)

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1409831714' post='2543718']
Plenty on here have bought and sold DB strings.. so long as the price feels ok reflecting the age and condition it allows you to try different sets without quite such a major financial commitment, or at least have a keep-you-going spare set for gigging. I certainly benefitted from this in the past.
If it's of interest, I have a couple of sets of unused Innovation Braided, one still in the box, as I'm switching to the new Innovation set as it comes on line.
[/quote]

Yeah, I bought a set of 'slightly used' flex cores from eBay for £70, they seem fine, certainly much better than the strings that my db came with.

I now need a set for my Yamaha Silent bass, the strings on it are a mix of blue and red silk windings, and have certainly seen better days :)

I bought a used set of Super Silvers on here 18 months ago. They've been on and off my upright and Stagg EUB. They still sound great, they're a little frayed on the silk at the top and discoloured but sound fine. I bought a new set and 3 of them snapped at the bridge within a couple of weeks!

Go for it.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1409835865' post='2543788']
I bought a set of used Animas for £70 and had them on my bass for nearly 3 years! Considering they are near £300 new, it was a pretty good outcome.
[/quote]

Yeah, I paid £70 for my Spirocores, they should be £170 new :)

I buy used strings all the time - it's a very cost effective way of trying out different brands to find 'your' string for 'your' bass. In fact all 3 of my basses are currently wearing second hand strings

I've never had a problem with a used string and even had sets from other basschatters on a try before you buy basis.

I've also done string exchanges - swapping sets that I didn't like for sets that I want to try.

All the points above are good points. When I was on a string safari, buying used was the most economical way to go, because 1) if I didn't like them, I could flip them, and 2) I got to see what they [i]really[/i] sounded like, without new string zing. TalkBass.com has an active subforum for strings and accessories.

I've bought loads of used upright strings here and rarely had an issue with any of them. I did have an issue with a G string once from an expensive and notoriously fragile brand (which are now my favourite brand - bloody typical) but I didn't mention it to the seller because I've bought and sold with him so many times in the past I knew he'd be mortified. :)

Edit: This was a long time ago, it has come up in conversation since then, so if you're thinking it might be you it isn't you!

Edited by thisnameistaken

I would recommend buying second hand strings definitely. I bought some Evah Pirazzi's and loved them but wouldn't have known otherwise.

I recently bought some new Velvet Animas for £270. I love them which is a good job! But buying second hand would have been miles better if I hadn't of liked them.

I wouldn't try second hand electric bass strings but definitely would double bass strings.

• 1 month later...

I've bought a couple of sets of second-hand strings
As others have said, it's a cost-effective way of trying different brand
Buying them from someone on this forum is a good way to get S/H strings, I think

As BC'ers would be more honest about the use they've had, I'm sure

PS. Although I've not tried it, Daf Lewis's Innovation Strings trial is a great idea
.... and I'm sure those trial strings have been on & off many basses in their lifetime....