Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot BLX 80 (the horror)

Mariner72

I own one of these some how!

I believe it has a good sound hiding in it somewhere, but just where that is I don't know.

Like many BLX owners, I have no manual (yes I've searched the web many times), and the frustration on how to work this thing is bringing me down!

A plus point is that I've no need to weight train as the amp is so heavy moving it is a work out!

Joking aside, does anybody have a manual explaining how this thing works, or is using one with good results?

I play soul, funk and blues.........it's a loud beast from a small footprint, but just not giving the sounds I thought it would / should?

The amp itself is in super condition, it's a in UK version (1990's?), and is for sale on Gumtree, this is out of frustration more than anything else.

Grateful for any comments.

I had a BLX130. Trace used to use the same power amp in all the mosfet amps but change the number of mosfets for higher powers.

I suspect that the 130 was 80 watts with the internal speaker but would output 130w when connected to an external 8R cab.

I found the standard BLX130 OK for rehearsals and small pub gigs but but great for almost anything when used with the extension cab.

I remember being so excited to get mine, first proper bass amp and I'd been pouring over a Status/Trace Elliot catalogue I picked up from the music shop where I got my first bass. Served me very well as a practice amp but 10 year old me really struggled to heft it up the stairs to my bedroom so that's my overriding memory of it. Heavy!

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1410181030' post='2546837']
i think you are being harsh on the OP and others. They are entitled to their opinions
[/quote]

Everyone is entitled to their opinions...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1410180092' post='2546821']
Horrid little things
[/quote]

This is mine ... :mellow:

• 1 month later...

My first proper amp from the early '90s, still got it sat right next to me as I type. I very nearly took it round to the keyboard player's house a few weeks back for a practice, but then realised how heavy it was so took my 5-15 mini-rig instead. :)

I too have one of these, albeit broken at the moment, but I remember reading a post here about someone modding theirs by turning it around 180 degrees. He slid the amp out and turned it to face the opposite way, then took off the rear panel, flipped the speaker around and made a new panel/grill for what was the rear but became the front. The "bicycle rack" porting became a rear port and it apparently worked much better