Why become a member? ×

Hello

Baceface

Just saying hello after lurking for a while.

I'm not a real bass player (or welder). I play guitar and own a bass that I use for recording and general fun. It's a very modest Yamaha instrument but I like it a lot. I've noticed that these days I seem to enjoy playing the bass much more than I do the guitar. Not sure if it's the righteousness than comes with owning a cheap bass (that matches my cheap playing) or the simplicity of just having the one, as opposed to loads of guitars that don't get played too often.

Anyway, I suspect I'll be asking for help and advice until this phase passes or turns into something altogether nastier when I sell loads of stuff to get a 4003.

Regards.

Thanks a lot for the warm greetings.

Loving BassTractor's "Lemmy/Daisy Rock" avatar!

First gig I ever went to was Motorhead on the Bomber tour. My tastes are a bit less noisy these days but I wonder if it's part of why I think of Rics as the definitive bass?

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1410289740' post='2547931']
Welcome to the forum, if you must sell everything to buy the Ric then make sure the Bb614 is the last thing to go. I sold mine and regret it, without a doubt the best bass I've owned & I currently use a Bb1024 & a Stingray so that should give you an idea how good they are.
[/quote]
Cheers Horizontalste.

I like the BB614 but I haven't anything else to compare it to. I took a bass playing friend along to the shop when I bought it and he liked it too so I was reasonably sure that it was OK. I guess they are not considered "lookers" but I quite like the appearance - kind of vintage/old-school without being another P or J bass clone. It's about 9lb so it's reasonably light for a larger bodied bass.

I'm considering putting a Gotoh 201 on there but more for cosmetic reasons than any hope of tonal improvement. I don't really like or use the active eq so I might look into disconnecting it. The other option might be to upgrade the preamp as people say the budget electronics are a weak point on these. Not so sure about this as I only use it for recording and tend to dial in the sound I need with the amp sim and eq.

Nice to hear that you rate the BB614s so highly!

Love the upgrades Horizontaliste!

I believe the Gotoh 201 drops straight onto the BB614 without any drilling?

I also like the control knobs and think they're a great improvement on the stock ones. I hate the way there's no visual indication of where the controls are, particularly for the active eq. Do you remember where you got the replacements?

Yours looks almost identical to mine (apart from the mods). Here's a picture: