Why become a member? ×

Bottom F#. I need one. Where?

Owen

Hi all, I am messing with a bottom F# thang. I have just bought a Harley Benton BZ 6000 to see how the whole thing works. It is a 35" 5 piece through neck. I have been keeping a .195 string on one side for the right moment. It turns out that my .195 is a 34" scale. Gutted. It also turns out that .195 is more suitable for towing cars. Or perhaps setting up suspension bridges.

Where do I get a (guessing) .165 35" scale string in the UK? I need one ASAP because I have a hugely important major world tour coming up. Obv, that last sentence was not true. I just want one because I want one. But I really want it ASAP.

Rotosound do a 175 gauge string and as mentioned above, Warwick's Dark Lord set has a 175 in too. A big thumbs up for Newtone in the UK who can wind something of a custom variety too. Great service from those guys.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1410251497' post='2547429']
Is a low F# even audible?
[/quote]

It is, but...it's way down there somewhere. A guy on another forum was asking about tuning to low E which is more or less on the limit of what the human ear can hear.

All this assumes you can find cabs designed to handle such low frequencies.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1410256522' post='2547493']
It is, but...it's way down there somewhere. A guy on another forum was asking about tuning to low E which is more or less on the limit of what the human ear can hear.

All this assumes you can find cabs designed to handle such low frequencies.
[/quote]

It must be a seriously flappy string?

Also having your EQ set to make the F# audible must compromise the tone over the rest of the strings.

I don't mean to be critical of ERBs, I play a sixer myself, I just don't really see a low F# being of any practical use :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1410257223' post='2547501']

It must be a seriously flappy string?

Also having your EQ set to make the F# audible must compromise the tone over the rest of the strings.

I don't mean to be critical of ERBs, I play a sixer myself, I just don't really see a low F# being of any practical use :blink:
[/quote]

Apparently one has to have strings of the thickness you'd expect of cables keeping suspension bridges up...and it's all guitarists fault for wanting to dable in very low tunings. :)

I've tuned my 5'er down that low (with standard strings) for fun, and while the string were floppy it sounded cool as, especially for metal. You might not be able to reproduce much of that fundamental, but it's all about the harmonics above that, being produced with bright strings, a growly bass and a bit of distortion.

Edited by dannybuoy

I've been using an F# on my Shuker 7 for years! It's a 175 gauge string on that and the tone is very very good. Don't forget that although the fundamental frequency is down in the 20hz region, your ears are picking up on the overtones and harmonics more. Your brain fills in the bits that are missing so you hear the note lower than B for example.

As for being flappy, well that's down to bass construction and string design. Yes if you take a B string and detune it to F#, sure it will be flappy and unuseable. If you take a string designed for that tuning and put it on a bass that is also designed to bring out the best of that kinda string then you should get good results. I do for sure.

As for the Dingwall, yeah I've played a prototype that Sheldon brought over to the Uk with it's 37" scale F# string. Again the gauge was a custom 175 designed by Circle K and it worked beautifully!

So I agree with the post above. It's not for everybody, but it's just really good fun and you can get really creative with using different tunings. Isn't that what music is about? :)

• 2 weeks later...