Why become a member? ×

Bottom F#. I need one. Where?

Owen

Like this??

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotosound-RS66LH-STAINLESS-STEEL-BASS-STRINGS-85-175-F-drop-zone-plus-/271183236901?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f23c7cf25"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotosound-RS66LH-STAINLESS-STEEL-BASS-STRINGS-85-175-F-drop-zone-plus-/271183236901?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f23c7cf25[/url]

Need to find a Rotosound stockist

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1411575124' post='2560841']
Like this??

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotosound-RS66LH-STAINLESS-STEEL-BASS-STRINGS-85-175-F-drop-zone-plus-/271183236901?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f23c7cf25"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f23c7cf25[/url]

Need to find a Rotosound stockist
[/quote]

The pure thought of a set that low scares me. I'll stick to 125 for a low A# for now

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1409947910' post='2544976']
[size=5][sub]I would talk to Newtone to see if there are any issues with the tension the neck has to take.[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

A F# string will be lower tension than a low B (or a standard E string). You made actually have to slacken off the truss rod.

I picked up a Warwick .175 one which is OK but is tonally out of whack with the rest of the strings on the bass. I have ordered a set from Newtone and then I will mess with it for a bit to see if I can even get my head round an extra string. I can play a 5 without thinking. I can play a 4 without thinking. I have a feeling I will have to think while playing a 6. I am not keen on thinking while I play. I might even have to practice.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1411569139' post='2560744']
I have a rough question kinda in the same vein...

I want to use my 4 string lakland at drop A (AEAD) - what kinda gauge would be needed for this? Best to get a 5 string set and ditch the high string? Will I need to likely need to file the nut? It's 34" scale.
[/quote]

That should work fine. I strung my Jazz that way for a long time. It just depends on the nut really. Only one way to find out :)

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1411594106' post='2561090']
I've one for sale but Dingwall scale length ....?
[/quote]

Ugh! I wish! If I were to go for it properly I guess I would go fanned fret, but my £220 35" scale neck through Harley Benton will have to do for now. We do actually live in a wonderful age of lutherie - there is not a great deal wrong with it apart from being a bit heavy.

I am very serious about it! I am awaiting delivery of a set of roundwound strings for my NS EUB to be tuned an octave beneath standard 4 string tuning. Excited does not even begin to describe it. I am dangerously close to fretting an EUB for the ultimate scale length.

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought I'd chime back in on this post as I am super pleased with my new F sharp string! - So for ages, I've been stuck using 175 gauge strings that have been good, but I've since learned that they were WAY off in terms of 'ability'. So, I ended up chatting with Chris from Kalium strings the other day about wanting to drop tune my seven string down a tone from it's F sharp note and what gauges of strings I should be thinking about.

After a natter, I ended up ordering a couple of samples to try out on my Shuker 7. They arrived on Friday - super fats delivery from the US and the first is on my bass already. I am so pleased that there has been a marked difference in the quality of the note, tone and volume of the open string as well as a much firmer feel.

I have a 182 string for standard F sharp tuning that I can drop tune, or for a permanent E tuning I also have a 190 gauge. IT IS HUGE in comparison to the 175 I had been using!

I must send a message of thanks through to Kalium; it's safe to say that my Shuker has a new lease of life!

Hang on, let me see if I can upload a pic....

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1413211503' post='2575852']
Here ya go!!! 183 and a standard 130-30 6 string bass set. Low F sharp up to C
[/quote]

have just got a set of the roto's for my incoming 6er 175 low string which im looking to try for my low E as we tune down a step,

bit scary to think i might need to go for the 190!!!

andy

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1413211503' post='2575852']
Here ya go!!! 183 and a standard 130-30 6 string bass set. Low F sharp up to C
[/quote]

34" or 35" scale? I seem to recall 34".

I went .043 .051 .068 .089 .118 .160 (taper core on the 160) from Newtone and they feel pretty good at the moment. This is on a neck through 35" scale. Obviously I now have Dingwall 6 string GAS.

Yes, I spoke to Chris at Kalium about the best gauge to use for my bass and indeed it is a 34" scale. However as those in the know will attest, my 7 string is no ordinary 34"er. The 175 I used for many years and looking back I wish I did this a long time ago. Really is a marked difference in the actual volume and note definition between my old string and these new ones. I would expect that Newtone's 160, which can be custom tailored, is superb but I think I'm am of the converted. The 190 will go on if I decide to leave the bass in that drop E tuning.

Interestingly my Dingwall, with it's 37" B string is so far staying in standard tuning. I want to get myself a combustion which will take the drop tunings instead.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1411584777' post='2560963']
A F# string will be lower tension than a low B (or a standard E string). You made actually have to slacken off the truss rod.
[/quote]

Not necessarily - but worth checking. For example, Kalium's 130 gauge tuned to B comes in at 36lbs and the F# string I have (182) comes in at 38.8lbs. The gauge of the string and it's core design matters, but I do agree that the 175 on an F# is a floppy lower tension string than any B.