Why become a member? ×

AER Bottom Line bass amps

machinehead

I've read a lot about the AER amp one & three but there seems to be little to nothing on the web about the amp two.

Has anyone came across reviews or any information on the amp two?

I've watched the Bass Whisperer's review of all three bottom line amps but even there, he seems to gloss over the amp two, concentrating on the amp one and three.

Anyone got any pointers? Better still do any basschatters own one?

Thanks.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1410210304' post='2547245']
There was an amp two which sold recently on bass chat, I personally have an amp one and love it...
[/quote]

Ha! And guess who bought that one. <_<

Thanks for the reply Chris. I was just wanting to read up what others thought of the amp two and hear what they thought about it as a gigging amp.

I was very interested in your self-built sub too.

I need a few gigs with the amp two to really get to know it better. It seems more than capable in a loud rehearsal but depending on how it performs live I might consider building myself a sub. I have a gig next weekend where it will have its first outing.

I certainly can't afford to buy an AER sub. :blink:

Frank.

I was seriously tempted by that amp two, you thwarted my master plan which was to wait six months until beedster was desperate to sell, and then get it for a song! From what I hear the amp two is a little more HIFI than the amp one. The amp one is seriously loud for its size and has a nice warm sound to it. I have had some problems with my amp one recently and have found the customer support from AER and westside distribution to be first rate, even providing parts for free even though it's well out of its guarantee!
Good luck with your two.
Chris

Oh dear, how long have you owned the thing? Wondering whether you or I should downgrade the AER amp one a little in the best combos < £1k thread (currently getting glowing reviews on that thread) and / or at least cross-refer them to your comments here?

I don't think we should downgrade it, I purchased it second hand and you always take a chance that it has not been abused before you get it, I've searched the internet and can't find any references to reliability problems, and the customer support from AER has been first rate. The first generation of amp ones had heat sinks and they have upgraded the chassis on mine free of charge to the chassis which incorporates a fan which the second generation have. Can't fault them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently test driven the Amp 2 & 3. Holy Bjesus the thee is astonishingly loud and arse kickingly deep. I wound up the bass boost and thought the bugger was going to have my leg off. Two was amazing but three......... its tiny. It has some kind of German noise tardis inside with an 8X10 2KW Mesa rig inside. I truly cannot express how punchy, warm and musical it sounded. Blown away.

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1411159021' post='2557205']
I've recently test driven the Amp 2 & 3. Holy Bjesus the thee is astonishingly loud and arse kickingly deep. I wound up the bass boost and thought the bugger was going to have my leg off. Two was amazing but three......... its tiny. It has some kind of German noise tardis inside with an 8X10 2KW Mesa rig inside. I truly cannot express how punchy, warm and musical it sounded. Blown away.
[/quote] can you expand a wee bit more in what you made of them both?

I'm just home from two gigs tonight using the AER amp two and F&%* me - how do they do this?

I understand that there's a bit of processing going on in the amp but the tone and volume is astonishing. :o

The amp two is a 12" + 4" speaker combo. It is deep and clear, with more highs than I really like, but rolled off the tone on the jazz and it seemed to sound more pleasant to me. It handled the larger venue on the secend gig amazingly well for the size of this little beast.

I need a few more gigs in different venues to give a better considered and more experienced opinion of this combo. So far it's amazing. The only drawback for me at the moment is the weight.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1411176659' post='2557330']
I'm just home from two gigs tonight using the AER amp two and F&%* me - how do they do this?

I understand that there's a bit of processing going on in the amp but the tone and volume is astonishing. :o

The amp two is a 12" + 4" speaker combo. It is deep and clear, with more highs than I really like, but rolled off the tone on the jazz and it seemed to sound more pleasant to me. It handled the larger venue on the secend gig amazingly well for the size of this little beast.

I need a few more gigs in different venues to give a better considered and more experienced opinion of this combo. So far it's amazing. The only drawback for me at the moment is the weight.

Frank.
[/quote] hmmm added to GAS list!

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd bump this thread because I've failed miserably to find anything at all on the amp two on the 'net. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I've also had a few more gigs with it. I've realised that it takes time to properly understand this amp. There are a lot of knobs to twiddle and I usually prefer simplicity.

However, I've taken the time to try to understand this amp and it's been very worthwhile. This is not, in my opinion anyway, a "plug and play" combo. I've found that learning how to use it properly ( and I think I've really only scratched the surface) has revealed how absolutely brilliant the design is.

At heart it's a hifi type amp. It is possible to make it sound thick and more traditional and discovering how to do this has made me enjoy it even more. It's a different beast from anything I've played or heard before - and I'm going back over almost 30 years of bass playing and at least 15 years as a guitarist before "seeing the light" of the low end. <_<

I hate distortion in a bass rig. A little break-up is OK for me, but clean is my preference. This little combo is clean but rich and deep as well. And f*&^ing LOUD. And it's loud while keeping its core tone as well, which is a class act.

I must be the only person who actually owns one because there's no trace of another owner anywhere on the 'net.

EDIT: It's still too heavy. A newly purchased folding trolley should help with this.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

• 2 weeks later...

I went up to Denmark Street a month or so ago and had the chance to try, one, two and three. I' not a tech freak so this is just the gut response as player. The original question in my mind the time was should I buy used bass cube II? I compared the face value usability of the Cube and in very case amps one, two and three spanked it for me. The sheer power and depth each one had over the albeit very sophisticated Cube made the decision easier - amps1-3 Bass Guitar - Bass Cube Double Bass. So I then compared amps 1-3. I had fixed cube gas.

One was amazing, tiny, impossibly clear and loud, you just sit and scratch our head - WTF was my only thought. The tone was pretty much all there but I felt as if AER had tried to make the smallest possible serious combo and succeeded! BUT Then looked at something to compete with the Mesa combos- the Two does that. It felt more like a 'real' useable gigging combo. Loud, bright (perhaps to bright) and punchy as hell. for me the One just didn't answer all the questions, the two answered all of them but it is bigger, heavier and if I wanted - a compact combo to sling on the passenger seat? Two was not it. So Thee .............. 2x 8" a little bigger than One but still tiny.

Take all the other small combo's in the world and build a big bonfire........... Three is awesome.The bottom end is mind bending and can only be heard to be believed. It is punchier than One, it is warmer than One or Two and GDAM that low end. This is the tiny combo you can trust with your low B, or with the warmth of a vintage P bass in my view. Mine is on order for Xmas, you gotta try it.

The best place is Denmark Street in London, the importer in UK is Westside 24 Denmark St, London WC2H 8NJ 0207 8368374. Give them a ring!

They are B expensive tho. you can check on the Thomann website for comparable prices. I went to my local music shop and asked them to order it for me from Westside. They were hungrier for the deal than Westside would have been as the importer so I got a good deal :-)

Oh and Jennie, Please do not lick your guitar like that (Profile Photo) there are aging men on this forum who might spill their Earl Grey tea on their slippers. At our advanced ages that can really ruin your Mojo before a gig. Also unless you use flatwounds thats gonna hurt if you keep doing it.

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1415179342' post='2597413']
Oh and Jennie, Please do not lick your guitar like that (Profile Photo) there are aging men on this forum who might spill their Earl Grey tea on their slippers. At our advanced ages that can really ruin your Mojo before a gig. Also unless you use flatwounds thats gonna hurt if you keep doing it.
[/quote]

..... ok. Old men and their innuendos disgust me. So now changed.

I'm a huge advocate for AER bottom line amps, it's a great company that make awsome products, you get what you pay for with these. I've only played the amp one, and that gives my 500watt terror bass a run for its money, although obviously when you get past 12 o'clock the terror bass pulls always a little, but I've not had it past 12 o'clock yet on a gig! I imagine that the rest of the line will be just as good, I was going to sell when I got my terror bass but I can't bring myself to do it. There's not many around to try but anyone willing to come to North notts can have a go on mine. (And can also try my status which is for sale!!!!!!)

Edited by chrisanthony1211

Thanks for posting that pmjos.

I have only played/gigged with the amp two and I agree, it's a really serious gigging amp. It has easily enough volume. (Too much even. I was asked to turn down on Saturday night in a pub. Makes a change from the guitarists always being asked to turn down.)

I know what you mean about the amp two being bright. I thought so too until I discovered another 9k knob on the back of the amp! It does take time to learn how to use the many knobs but I'm starting to get to grips with it. It's a fantastic piece of kit and ticks all the boxes for the sound I prefer.

The ONLY drawback is the weight but then I'm old and have back trouble. :( The trolley has helped though.

When you start to use your AER you'll forget the high cost and just have a permanent smile.

Frank.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just ordered an AER Amp three... looking forward to it :)
I have had the Amp Two for some weeks and thought it was a great amp, but too heavy and cumbersome for a combo imo. Thats why I ordered the three...

Those little things sound so huge, so good. All three of them. It really needs to be witnessed to believe it.

I guess Ed's review videos are already known?
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_MiimcHKGQ"]https://www.youtube....h?v=O_MiimcHKGQ[/url]
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp8whYwmm6Y"]https://www.youtube....h?v=tp8whYwmm6Y[/url]

I can remember the first time I heard my Bongo over the Amp One in a store. I had the bass plugged into the bigger Roland Cube 100 before... the difference was mind blowing, the tone was so much better, punchier, crisper. Worlds apart, really.

Those amps are worth their high cost.

Edited by djaxup

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a new Amp One today & have been playing around with it at home for the past hour or so ! Two things !

1. OMG it's impossible how this thing sounds it's utterly amazing ! ! !

2. I cannot make it sound sh*te in the slightest ! ! !

If Dr Who ever made a bass combo based on the Tardis this is what it would sound like : ) Just wow !

Got the Amp Three today. First impressions...

- huge sound. It sounds like a full muscle amp and feels like a 212 in terms of air movement. Astonishing. Unbeievable really because it is so small. And it is that deep, full sound that so many micro amps lack. The kind of oomph you expect from much much larger and higher power rigs. This combo does NOT get its loudness via low mids and cut off bass range. So deep... crazy. And very focused and not a tad muddy down low.

- the compressor is top notch. Not much else to say here, but it just works great.

- it has a bit of hiss when turned loud or boosting the treble up. No other noises though, no hearable fan or anything like that.

- superb sound, love the options. And just like medpb stated, quasi impossible to dial in unsusable sounds.

So far I'm totally stoked.