Why become a member? ×

Arpeggio Dominant 7

timmo

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1410028785' post='2545569']
In the key of F, is the 7th a D sharp, or E flat? I assume it is a D Sharp, but it doesn`t obviously fit into the Major scale
[/quote]
The Dominant 7th doesn't fit into the Major scale, it's the 7th, flattened (7th = 'E', so Dominant 7th = Eb...). As there is already a flat in the 'F' Major scale (Bb...), we stay with flats (they're never mixed...), so I'd go for Eb as the Dominant 7th of F, not D#.
Subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others; hope this helps.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1410071187' post='2545756']
Thanks for the confirmation. I was surprised the question was answered so quickly. Not many people seem to flirt with this part of the forum
[/quote]

It's a shame that they don't because some of the most useful information can be found in this section....although there are no shiny pictures. ;)

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1410094986' post='2546008']
It's a shame that they don't because some of the most useful information can be found in this section....[s]although there are no[/s] [i]and [/i]there are shiny pictures. ;)
[/quote]

Fixed B)

[attachment=171119:Stro_Bass.JPG]

Edited by Dad3353

It is the ONLY thread I read and I am a moderator!

That is, of course, a complete lie. I also read the double bass sections and the recording sections. My order of business every day is General, Off Topic, Theory and Technique, Recording. Everything else is only when I see something that piques my interest.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1410287629' post='2547895']

Can I ask why it matters? Genuine question.
[/quote]

It's about chord and scale tones. A major or minor scale will contain a form of every letter from A-G.
So as you know a C major scale is CDEFGAB, G major is GABCDEF# and so on. We can then make the chord tones,
which are the 1, 3, 5, 7 notes of the scale. So for Cmaj7, we have CEGB. A Dominant 7 chord is made up of 1, 3, 5, b7,
so the notes are CEGBb. If you were to write an A you would usually either have a C6 chord (CEGA) or you would add it on top
the dominant 7 chord to make a C13.
That's a bit long winded, but basically it's because in a dominant 7 chord you a flattening the 7th and not raising the 6th.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1410287629' post='2547895']
Can I ask why it matters? Genuine question.
[/quote]

It 'matters' up to a point if one wishes to avoid having duplicate note letters in the scale. Doddy's on the button, as usual, with the 'real', technical explanation,but it can help to bear in mind that, if there's already a 'D' in the scale (in the OT example...), we wouldn't want a 'D#'. If there's an 'Eb', there'll be no ambiguous 'E'. So that's all right then. Hope this helps (but Doddy's is better... :blush:[size=4] ).[/size]