Why become a member? ×

Pedal board set up

beastie

Hi all ,
Looking for some advice apart placing of pedals in a chain and what is the start of the chain and finish into relation off send and return also wiring direct from input on front of amp or from the send and return on the rear .the amp is a Genz Benz shuttle max 9.2going into a barefaced super twelve with tweeter
My pedals are as follows ebs dynoverb ebs unichours ebs tremolo tech 21vt bass mark bass compressor all the ebs pedals are true bypass just looking for where to start and. Maybe play around with the chain later
Regards
Gary

If you're using your fx send & return, then the send is the output that goes to the input of your first pedal. The out from the last pedal in your chain then goes into the return.
However, with pedals it is usually to plug the bass straight in to the first pedal & then the out from the last pedal should go to the input on your amp & not sing the fx loop at all.
The reason?
The fx loop is usually designed for rack fx, which have a different line level. So some pedals may not work as well in the loop as they would in line.

As for pedal order... Mikebass says it all, there is no right or wrong.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1410271859' post='2547688']
There is no law as to how to use effects, of course, BUT, there is a standard logic to how effects [i]usually[/i] go.

The standard starting point with the effects you have mentioned would be Compressor, Dirt, Modulation (Trem + Chorus), Reverb. That is how a multi-effects unit would be likely order them. I won't go into why it's that way, getting your head into the signal chain is all part of the fun!

Naturally, with that being the most sensible order, it might be [i]too[/i] sensible! Just depends on what you wish to achieve with the effects.
[/quote]

But is that being more sensible than putting the compressor at the end to even things out? :)

I found the best place for the compressor was the guitarist's pedal board. :yarr:

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1410273494' post='2547708']
Technically speaking, it would want to be before the trem, because evening that out too much would stop it working, and before the reverb, because a natural decay is all part of reverb sounding like reverb.

Given that the most likely use of the comp is to level playing dynamics, logic and probability still make the start of the chain the default. Envelope filters are most likely to require a comp after them, but I'm simply taking the Mr Spock approach here!

*EDIT*

"Dammit Jim- I'm a bass player, not a psychedelic space-rock noise merchant!" :lol:
[/quote]

You make a good point, but to get the compressor to sustain things that much, it would need to be set to some pretty extreme levels.

For a starting order, then there's nothing wrong with your suggestion. :)