Why become a member? ×

old skool, Brit Funk bass heros!

iconic

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1410556970' post='2550873']
Well.......OP did say Brit Funk......lol...
It was a term that always baffled me.
[/quote] maybe its a typo from the OP. those posted before were always jazz funk for me. imo..

Brit Funk was . [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOFznv4ThUA[/media]

Brit Jazz Funk was . [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSvp3Xu1_Dw[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1410617734' post='2551306']
George Anderson's playing from Shakatak is much better in the mix of there fantastic music too be honest. but he's one of the UK greats imo. i did enjoy (in parts) his playing here. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snm_KxSKPY8[/media]
[/quote]

Oh yes - loved their work. Another player who used a Stingray back in the day.

I think the biggest Brit Funk band and most famous Brit Funk bass player has been missed out here - Level 42 was on that circuit and Mark King is just an awesome bass player - I've seen them three times - 1981 (Bham University bar), 1990 (Ipswich Regent) and 2010 ish (Eastbourne Conquest), They were mesmerising each time.

Another Brit Funk band from this era was Freeez.

[quote name='jhk' timestamp='1410460897' post='2549759']

................................[size=5][b][i]+1.......also previously with joe cocker(my first fretless precision was bought from him in 1973)......... also worth a mention was felix krish with SFX...........john reed with SOX...........[/i][/b][/size]
[/quote]

Bloody hell - you not only met him but bought a bass off him. Definitely not Brit Funk (the genre started in about 1980/81) but perhaps blue eyed soul (as groups like AWB were termed).

But Alan Spenner was fabulous - very audible and famous as the bass player with Roxymusic on songs around the time of Avalon, playing a Wal. He's also on the original soundtrack of Jesus Christ Superstar - fabulous playing.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1410685888' post='2551845']
Definitely not Brit Funk (the genre started in about 1980/81) but perhaps blue eyed soul (as groups like AWB were termed).
[/quote]
Correct. Great as they were no one called either AWB, Gonzalez or Kokomo 'Brit Funk' when they were playing the London pub circuit in the 70s.

The term Brit Funk only became widely used from around 1980 onwards.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1410685563' post='2551838']
I think the biggest Brit Funk band and most famous Brit Funk bass player has been missed out here - Level 42 was on that circuit and Mark King is just an awesome bass player

Another Brit Funk band from this era was Freeez.
[/quote]
I didn't include Level 42 because although they were loved by many Brit Funk fans they never really fitted into any musical style and not in the general Brit Funk movement.