Why become a member? ×

Carol Kaye's website

Funky Dunky

• 1 month later...

[quote name='natjag' timestamp='1413130947' post='2575138']
I looked at some of her books. The postal prices put me off a little especially as you can't view the books like you can in a shop, to see if they may be suitable or not.
[/quote]

I have about three or four of her books. While there is no doubting that she is a great bassist and that the information contained in the books is very practical and useful, IMO the presentation (same goes for her DVD which I also have) and layout leaves a lot to be desired.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1413137918' post='2575218']
I have about three or four of her books. While there is no doubting that she is a great bassist and that the information contained in the books is very practical and useful, IMO the presentation (same goes for her DVD which I also have) and layout leaves a lot to be desired.
[/quote]

A [i]lot [/i]to be desired; her video is all but incomprehensible. What's the point of all her knowledge if she can't put it across?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1414574074' post='2590734']
Maybe she's not cut out to be a teacher though
[/quote]

It's a bit late to discover this now. :D[size=4]In fairness, a lot of big names have studied with her...Jaco among them. Perhaps the likes of Skype lessons, where you can ask questions, would be the way to go. [/size]

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1414576937' post='2590791']
I'd be trying to work out why [i]I[/i] didn't understand what she was saying.
[/quote]

When I was going through her DVD, there were some sections I replayed many times trying to grasp the concept of what she was getting at. I gave up in the end. A few weeks later, a book I had ordered arrived. A few chapters in, I came across the same thing that had eluded me with the DVD. The penny dropped on the first read through it. Why ? Because it was explained in a different way.

My conclusion : Carol's method books and DVD's dont explain things (at least to me) in a way that other tutorials can.

YMMV.

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1414751194' post='2592843']
I've got one of her jazz phrases books, I was pretty disappointed with the look/layout when it turned up and I've never really managed to get much from it in fairness! I'll just stick to the records =)
[/quote]
It is a great starting point and once you have internalised some of the phrases you can stick these licks over II/V,s as required, but you would probably do better transcribing a couple of bass solos that you love and stealing licks from them. I like her books, but you have to stick with it to see results and there are probably quicker ways to the same destination. The lady is doubtless a genius, but geniuses sometimes struggle to communicate their brilliance. The whole range could do with an update and the dvd needs remade as it was probably done on the cheap 30 years ago but it is good stuff. The best value is probably to order the lot at once so you only pay one P&P.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1414576937' post='2590791']
Interesting conclusion.

I'd be trying to work out why [i]I[/i] didn't understand what she was saying.
[/quote]

More a hypothesis than a conclusion :-)
I think that if many people are struggling to get on with her lessons, then it's fair to question her teaching style.

[quote name='natjag' timestamp='1413130947' post='2575138'] I looked at some of her books. The postal prices put me off a little especially as you can't view the books like you can in a shop, to see if they may be suitable or not. [/quote]

They have some pages to view on Amazon and have the first 6 books on Kindle for about £7.50 total. Digital isn't everyone's cup of tea but a cheap option if you don't mind it.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1415534976' post='2601197']
More a hypothesis than a conclusion :-)
I think that if many people are struggling to get on with her lessons, then it's fair to question her teaching style.
[/quote]

Her style is called logorreha. Essential points are difficult or impossible to understand, while her personal history and credits take precedence.

I like Carol Kaye's books a lot. The presentation is not as slick as you expect these days and there are some notational errors, IMHO. However, the content is gold and repays working, [i]especially[/i] as study books to use with a teacher who can show you what you should be trying to get out of them. Carol Kaye posts out the books herself direct from her office in the USA, so the postal charges are high but you get her signature for free :)

A friend of mine had an online lesson with Carol Kaye and it was great. Her learnt lots in the lesson and is still working on the recording of the lesson 6 months after the event. He's a pro bass player, by the way.

I am sorry some of you had disappointing experiences with the DVD, which I have never seen. I'd agree that the books have flaws but I still think she's a great teacher.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1415576840' post='2601735']
I'd still really be interested to know when Jaco studied with her.
[/quote]

I may have been wrong in that he actually studied [i]with[/i] her.

However, on her web site it says that he studied her books and was influenced by them.

Granted...not quite the same thing.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to re hash an old thread.

I recently received books I'd ordered (which weren't available for kindle). The Jazz Bass book, which is 12 pages, 6 sheets of paper. Lots of info in there, but she doesn't tell you how to apply it.

Also I ordered Jazz improv, which is a more sizable book. However, first page reads : Material Needed, Pro's Jazz Phrases, Standards 1 and Bass video course or Jazz bass Tape and guide (got that one). Wish I'd known when I ordered it, as you do need the pro phrases book to apply what she talks about in the book. Both books came with CDs.

when you watch videos of her being interviewed, you know she knows the info, as mentioned, she doesn't put it in writing very well. Probably best just to transcribe stuff, with the chord charts so you can see how it fits over whats being played.