Why become a member? ×

New Fender Adam Clayton and Dee Dee Ramone Signatures

NJE

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1410422566' post='2549205']
How much difference does a signature make? do more people actually buy them? I guess they must or fender wouldn't bother...

For me thats a lovely bass ruined by a signature...
[/quote]
I do agree that theyre probably not worth the extra unless they contain some [b]truly[/b] out of the ordinary associated feature, such as say, Yngwie Malmsteen's scalloped board that would allow the buyer and fan to play his music, in his style, more easily. A direct connection, if you will.

I dont think a matching headstock or unbound blocks are so exceptional,or that a simple black, white, maple P are so exceptional. They are purely cosmetic.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1410444372' post='2549511']
I can understand someone going for say, a Steve Harris sig, he is after all a very good bass player and someone who bass players find inspirational...

not something I think would apply to AC and any instrument carrying his name.
[/quote]

Really?

I think it's more down to whether you:

1. like the instrument.
2. like the music the signature artist is involved with.

I have no interest in the music that Steve Harris creates (what I have heard of I've disliked intensely) so how good or not his playing is, for me is completely irrelevant.

I quite like a few of U2's tunes (mainly from the first album and before) but I still wouldn't buy AC's or SH's signature basses as they just look like ordinary Fenders to me. If I was into Fenders I'm sure I could find a non-signature bass that looked just as good and played how I want it to.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1410445983' post='2549531']
Really?
[/quote]

Yes, because some people like to buy gear endorsed by famous players. So someone, who plays bass and is a big Iron Maiden fan, might want to buy a SH sig

I was looking at it from someone else's perspective not my own. SH gets many positive comments on here, AC doesn't, hence I struggle to see where the market is.

These things really only matter between us bass players, my wife could not tell you who Nate is, Matt Freeman, Gary Willis, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller etc even though she probably has some of there recordings in one way or another, I dont know who most of them are without googling! Most of my musician friends would struggle with most of them too, Adam Clayton and Geddy would probably be the best known and I dont think many people know who Marcus is never mind the obscure Ibanez and Yammy sigs.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1410448944' post='2549565']
STOP PRESS: Apparently Fender are to launch deluxe versions of both these basses to include a big bumper book of root notes.
[/quote]

I wonder if these basses come with widdlle/slap-limiters..........

I played the Harris sig a while ago. Initially I wanted to play one as he is pretty much my prime inspiration musically, but very quickly discovered that it is quite simply THE best precision I have ever played (and I have played very many over the years, both new and vintage)
If I could free the cash up, I'd have one in a heartbeat!

• 1 month later...

I know for a fact Warwick don't pay royalties to any of the their artists as a matter of principal, even the ones with Sig instruments, it is the honour of the guitar rather than a money making venture.
Mind you even if they did quite who was buying a 6 grand Clayton Sig reverse bodied Z thing I don't know.

Also, fun fact. Fender do pay royalties :D

Additional fun, Tom Delonge with his Mexican Strat with a single humbucker and volume control still holds the record (by a country bloody mile as well) for the largest royalty cheque ever paid by Fender due to the sheer number of them they sold. Mr Hoppus is up that list also. Their instruments were genuinely different to anything else in the catalogue not to mention about 400 pounds street and therefore affordable.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1414685271' post='2592252']
Mr Hoppus is up that list also. Their instruments were genuinely different to anything else in the catalogue not to mention about 400 pounds street and therefore affordable.
[/quote]

Tis true! Cheapest way at the time of getting a jazz body, P-neck, spb-3 equipped, thru body strung bass. And good choice of colours. Still fancy getting my hands on a shell pink one at some point if one pops up in good condition.

I like the finish on the Clayton jazz, but it doesn't seem to have that many unique features compared to a US standard.

Edited by Ruiner

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1410361781' post='2548568']
Sort of thought an Adam Clayton would be based on his original Precision with Jazz neck bass with the chunk of scratchplate missing.
[/quote]

Ditto. Was quite looking forward to that.