Why become a member? ×

New Fender Adam Clayton and Dee Dee Ramone Signatures

NJE

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I would think that to put a your signature on something you had to be alive...
AC is very much alive, but he does give the impression that for a reasonable fee he will put his signature on anything, which kind of negates the whole idea of being behind a product.

The whole marketing thing with signature instruments is kind of sad anyway, the idea being that the consumer is so stupid that he/she will believe that getting the same instrument as their hero will make them sound the same... besides, in 99% of the cases it's not the same instrument at all, it just looks the same.

I've got nothing against sig basses - had a couple of Geddy's - so as long as it's a nice bass, that's fine.

However, I think that any sig bass should be an iconic instrument that one identifies with the player - Ged's played that black Jazz for over 30 years, so no problems there.

Don't see how AC playing a Jazz on a U2 album some years ago puts him in that club!

Just think that Fender should cut their sig range by about 3/4! :(

I agree with the above and the above agreement.

spongebob is correct about the signature instrument thing - it needs to be their iconic, signature instrument for it to have real significance. A few albums and/or major tours with the instrument as a main recording/playing bass is the minimum. That or a truly signature design a la Mr. Simmons and his axe basses.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1414952712' post='2595003']
In summary:[list]
[*]Some of us will buy signature basses but only if we like the actual bass, the signature itself is immaterial
[*]We all like Dee Dee Ramone
[*]None of us like Adam Clayton
[/list]
I agree with all of the above.
[/quote]
In order

Wouldn't even think of it - it's just silly

Sorry - have never heard any Ramones

He's not popular around here, but he did make me want to take up bass so he's not all bad, and the sunburst 70s p in total relic is an iconic image so maybe that should be the sig model with some tweaks ? I did read an interview where he expressed fondness for that bass above all others.
Equally, he did to be fair, play the green jazz on Live Aid in front of 18 squillion people and in the New Years Day video, so its probably not a bad choice for a sig

Edited by Geek99

Its funny that they make a sig of a bass someone played later as the version they played then was just a regular version, if that makes sense? No one needed a Flea Stingray sig in the 90s because it was just a black Stingray that could have ended up being owned by anyone, its all a nonsense to me im affraid unless its a proper recreation of an old design with correct pickups etc or something like a Bryan May guitar.

I won't buy a Steve Harris sig despite being a fan for 35 years.
To me his ICONIC bass is the white 70's P with the Hammers crest and painted lines.
THAT I would buy because to me IT LOOKS SUPERB! It also brings back memories of so many Maiden gigs.

One day I may try to find somebody to fo the art work and just get it done on a standard P.

Because it is so recognisable to Maiden fans, I think that at the Dog and Duck on a Sat night, it would send out a subliminal message to a few.
"Yes, I know this is Summer of 69 but I would much rather be playing Phantom of the Opera" :lol:

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1410349322' post='2548374']
Last I saw, Adam Clayton was playing his Warwick sig bass?
Maybe he's skint :-D
[/quote]

Given that itunes bought their last album for $100million, I doubt it.

I actually saw them play a couple of years ago and as far as I remember it was mostly his Warwick and Lakland he was using.

Is that Jazz in Sherwood green metallic? I've always liked that colour, and always liked block inlays too.

None of the above basses particularly interest me although if the AC had binding I would give it a second look and hope the signature is a bit scrawly so no one can tell who's it is :-). You are right about the random choice of some signature instruments. Why Herbie Flowers (with the SAME LPB Jazz bass for over 50 years !!) or JJ Burnel (Precision most of the way - and a trendsetter) haven't been acknowledged beats me. I think a 1959/60 LPB Jazz with U neck and stack knobs at a sensible price point would interest more people beyond the signature.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1415285519' post='2598778']
I like this one! :D

[/quote]

It's stupid and patronising though. When I played in my classic rock covers band I could have done the vast majority of our set on a two string bass with an E and an A string, yet I don't see anyone knocking the bass players from the bands whose songs we were covering.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1415285519' post='2598778']
I like this one! :D

[/quote]

Lmao that is funny :lol: .

I come into this thread thinking how much i dislike U2. But actually i do like many of there songs. Also i believe basslines can be very simple and very effective. Good on anyone who plays bass effectively in whatever manner.

However Fender really need to stop doing uncool signature models. Actually signature models are ok long as there's no signature on them, least then you don't have to explain anything.

Or you could change your name and use the same sig thats on your bass hahaha. ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415382370' post='2599841']
Cult 'She sells sanctuary' is a great bassline with 2 strings and a pick.
[/quote]

And that line is repeated many times (with a few subtle differences) throughout their recordings Pete, and I never tire of it as the songs they use it on are invariably great.

Cannot accept the Adam Clayton hate here

He is a bass icon whether you like his playing or not, it's U2

I bet he was responsible for a large proportion of bass players here picking the instrument up in the first place (me included)

Listen to War, brilliant in your face bass, groovy, funky, rock solid

Half the attraction was that he wasn't technically perfect - U2 came out of punk don't forget

When he started taking lessons in the 2000s all the character disappeared from his playing - a damn shame

Ibanez should do a signature model of his 80s Musician, that's the iconic one (watch Red Rocks)

The green Jazz is a strange one, agreed, still want one though :)

If you could merge Adam and Doug Wimbish you would have the perfect bass player, Doug Clayton

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1416162542' post='2607496']
Guess this brings out the old what's best the technically superior player who is the commensurate weekend warrior/bedroom player or the multi multi multi millionaire in a global band who hacks at the bass?
[/quote]

Not really. Most estimates put Clayton's 'net worth' at $150m...which is somewhat behind Marcus Miller who is worth approx $215m. I'll take brilliant musician who is also minted over the slightly less minted hack any day.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1416163205' post='2607501']

Not really. Most estimates put Clayton's 'net worth' at $150m...which is somewhat behind Marcus Miller who is worth approx $215m. I'll take brilliant musician who is also minted over the slightly less minted hack any day.
[/quote]

I'm not fighting principles over a mere $65M.......