Orange build quality disappointment

16 replies to this topic

#1 Uberkate

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

I bought an Orange Rocker 30 combo roughly three years ago, expecting it to be built like a tank. It was second hand but in like new condition, only having been used in the previous owner's house for noodling.

I found external things started breaking down a lot quicker than I was expecting :( I use it fairly regularly for gigs and practises and it's been on one weekend tour - hardly heavy duty use.

Few knobs have gone off the top (need to screw 'em back on), the rubber handle has split on one edge, so that the metal strap underneath is exposed, and at the last gig I played the bloody badge came off the front!

Of course they're all things that can be easily repaired or replaced but it's really annoying and disappointing. You have to expect a bit of wear and tear but it just seems ridiculous to me that an internationally renowned amp company can't make their rubber handle straps last. You should at least be able to lift the thing up and down without the strap tearing! Or screw their knobs on properly...

Anyone else found this / wanna have a moan?

#2 icastle

Director of Torture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,319 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Knobs with grubscrews always work loose - screw them back on and put a little blob of clear nail varnish in the screw hole.

Rubber handles have broken like this since ever they were invented, but they're dead cheap and take only minutes to replace.

These items have been superseded by more modern equivalents, but any manufacturer making amps to reflect a certain era, as Orange do, have their choices kinda limited. :)
BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

Multitasking - the ability to screw up more than one thing at a time.

#3 RhysP

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,731 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

As far as I know they're not the same company that made the original Orange amps.

I think it was Music Ground bought up a load of the old names (Hiwatt is another example) & started churning out visually similar but inferior products featuring the name.

#4 Happy Jack

I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated (yeah)

• Members
  • 10,096 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

View Posticastle, on 10 September 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Knobs with grubscrews always work loose - screw them back on and put a little blob of clear nail varnish in the screw hole.

If I were you, I'd put the nail varnish in the holes before you screw them back on.

No need to thank me ...

More seriously, I wouldn't use nail varnish. What you want (IMHO) is http://uk.rs-online....=PSF_435926|alt

I was in Angel Music in Denmark Street last year when I was deciding whether to have a custom Matamp made for me, or buy a vintage Orange AD200. The AD200 they had in there was in an awkward place and I didn't want to risk my back by reaching for it, so I asked the assistant to pick it up.

Which he did.

At which point both screws/bolts ripped clean through the top and the 27Kg amplifier fell about two feet onto the floor.

I decided not to buy it.
Feedback +++ YouTube Channel +++ My Basses +++ Current active bands: Junkyard Dogs + King Ralph +++ Gone, but not forgotten: Dani Molino + Karena K + Mick's Lawmen + The Sapphire Grooves + Westbound Piccadilly + Long String Hawkers + Red Herring

It's never too late to have a Happy childhood.

#5 icastle

Director of Torture

• Members
  • 11,319 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostHappy Jack, on 12 September 2014 - 08:47 AM, said:

If I were you, I'd put the nail varnish in the holes before you screw them back on.

No need to thank me ...

More seriously, I wouldn't use nail varnish. What you want (IMHO) is http://uk.rs-online....=PSF_435926|alt

You're totally right.

I was trying to keep it simple because those little grub screws can be a right sod to get back in once you've taken them out. :)
BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

Multitasking - the ability to screw up more than one thing at a time.

#6 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,950 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

...I decided not to buy it.

Really..? Why was that..? :blink:
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

BassChat Terms & Conditions............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#7 Kiwi

Big, bouncy and now officially "dangerous".

• Administrators
  • 9,614 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostDad3353, on 12 September 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

Really..? Why was that..? :blink:
A drop in quality...perchance?
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, FEA Labs Dual Band compressor, Future Impact bass synth, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, Trace Elliot Hexavalve, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#8 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,950 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostKiwi, on 16 September 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

A drop in quality...perchance?
:lol:
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

BassChat Terms & Conditions............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#9 charic

Horklown Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • 9,182 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

I decided not to buy it.

Sounds like a weighty decision

The fretboard is your playground

No Fingering Or Slapping Allowed!

BC T&C's

Forum Behaviour Guidelines

#10 chrismuzz

More Me In The Monitors Please :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts
  • Interests:Overdrive

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

At which point both screws/bolts ripped clean through the top and the 27Kg amplifier fell about two feet onto the floor.

Was the floor ok??

Posted Image Posted Image

BASSES:
Peavey T-40 | Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio | Peavey Zodiac BXP | Peavey PXD Tragic
| Peavey International Series 4 | Peavey International Series 5 | Peavey Grind 6 | Peavey Grind 6
PEDALBOARD:
Stageclix Jack Wireless | SFX Micro Thumpinator | Aguilar
TLC | Darkglass B3K | SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI | Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive | ISP Decimator | Zoom B3
AMPS:
Peavey Classic 400 | Markbass Little Mark Tube 800
| Markbass CL104
MISC:
Elixir strings | Entwistle pickups | Whirlwind cables | Rock-Wire Cables | Levy's Leather | Diago pedalboards & accessories

My Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions - Forum Behaviour Guidelines - Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#11 Ancient Mariner

How do I delete my account?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

Matamp *used* to make the cabs for Orange.
My feedback

Light travels faster than sound: that's why some people appear bright until they speak.

#12 mike257

LOUD NOISES!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Bassing/Writing/Recording

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

Surprised at this. An old band mate had an AD30 and matching 4x12 cab bought brand new in around '05 - built like a tank and weighed a bloody ton. Shame if things have gone downhill.

Sandberg California JM4 | Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Squier Modded-P of Doom | 'Extreme' Modded Jazz Copy
Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 | Ampeg SVT-610HLF | Custom 2x10

My Feedback Thread

BOOM! Event Services

Live Audio | Tour Management & Transport | Tech Services

#13 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,950 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:03 PM

Quite. The Morris Oxford is no longer made, either, I'm told. Everything's gone to the dogs. :mellow:
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

#14 taunton-hobbit

Heft...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

Only Matamp make Matamps (or Ormat, if you must) - talk to Jeff - the handles don't fall off his stuff......

:)

#15 davedave

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Yup +1 for Matamp's build quality. The old stuff is ace, and the modern Matamp kit is every bit as good.

#16 Uberkate

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

Can I use regular superglue to get the Orange badge back onto the grille or will this damage it?

#17 Uberkate

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

TBH I like the unbadged look and would take the crest badge off too, but it leaves behind a squiggle of old hardened glue that doesn't look very smart!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users