Why become a member? ×

Drummer learning Bass

BigDrum&Bass

Basically been a drummer for 12 years. It is a pure passion. I have started to take my music more seriously and thought it would make be a better contributing drummer to learn an instrument that actually produces notes haha. Picked myself up an acoustic bass and its my new favourite toy at the minute. Was wondering if you lot had any tips for a brand shiny new starter. Maybe some fundamental scales i could google. I have one at the moment which i believe is A major my mate showed me. Cheers guys

First of all, welcome to the forum. There are a number of threads here with tips for beginners, but a good place to start is www.studybass.com.

Ambient is, of course, right that the fingerings for a C Major, for example, is the same as for any scale. There are generally 3 different fingerings for the scales though depending on which finger you start with. So if you see other shapes don't be surprised and get confused.

[quote name='BigDrum&Bass' timestamp='1410308329' post='2548127']
Picked myself up an acoustic bass and its my new favourite toy at the minute.
[/quote]

Welcome to the low end ! ;)[size=4] By "acoustic" bass, I'm not sure if you mean a "double bass" or an electro acoustic. [/size][size=4]Either way, it would be prudent to pay some attention at this stage, to [b]technique[/b]. This will help you to avoid possible injury problems further down the road. If your new toy is indeed a double bass, then this "Talk Bass Forum" link is worth a look. [/size]

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/newbie-links-technique.55900/

If it is a "regular" acoustic bass, then do a You Tube search for left and right technique for bass.

Here are some clips to start you off :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRkSsapYYsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeRoQuXlj9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU

[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='BigDrum&Bass' timestamp='1410308329' post='2548127']
Basically been a drummer for 12 years. It is a pure passion. I have started to take my music more seriously and thought it would make be a better contributing drummer to learn an instrument that actually produces notes haha. Picked myself up an acoustic bass and its my new favourite toy at the minute. Was wondering if you lot had any tips for a brand shiny new starter. Maybe some fundamental scales i could google. I have one at the moment which i believe is A major my mate showed me. Cheers guys
[/quote]
This is great news.
Btw, I always considered the rhythmical side of bass playing being as important as the musical part, so beeing a drummer can only help.
Best

Welcome to BC forum, and the world of bass playing
Good on you mate :)

I'm sure everyone on here will tell you, it isn't as simple as some other musicians would have everyone believe ;)
Anyhow, as you are a drummer, you will know the importance of timing, and have a good sense of timing
so you're halfway there......

Look at some youtube bass lessons, and don't worry about whether or not they are "basic" level
Learn those scales, and some hand techniques, and just get in there

Most of all, best of luck to you
and please let us know how you're getting on

Any questions, and I'm sure you'll find the good folk of this forum are more than helpful
On with your exciting journey

PS. Does this mean you now have 2 reasons to fall out with the lead guitarist? ;)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1410350314' post='2548385']
Learn those scales[/quote]

Agreed.

However, OP, you will need to know what notes you are actually playing. After technique, IMO the next important thing to learn is where the notes are on the fret board. While you may know the A scale, you wont be able to play say the F one, unless you know where F is on the 'board. :)

Here is another clip which will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAE-_a0I0_I&list=PLatsInsznGD1H-nvsI1Y1TEcDoXa-Fw11

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1410350314' post='2548385']

Most of all, best of luck to you
and please let us know how you're getting on

[/quote]

Cheers man. Just started messing around with my own stuff recently. Its proper juvenile sh*t like but its the start. Also trying to learn for whom the bell tolls which aint going too badly. Im a huge cliff fan.

Good evening, BD & B, and...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

As a fellow drumster that plays a little modest bass, allow me to congratulate you on your decision to expand your horizons. Yes, you're right; it helps a lot if one understands the [s]enemy[/s] other's point of view.
A word to the wise..? You will come across some light banter regarding the intellectual capacity of percussionists (or lack of...); I found it helpful to ignore this for the most part, as being beyond my level of comprehension or, as an alternative, let forth a jovial belly laugh two minutes later, as if one had only just 'got' the joke. Your move may vary, of course.
I decided to abandon my drumster-orientated avatar pics, too, as I felt that, once my real nature was revealed, the reader's opinion of the contents of my posts would be coloured by a preconception, not always positive.
In short: keep your head down, at least until the launching of DrumChat.co.uk. From then forth, we will be able to rule the roost as befits our status.

Shhh..! I hear them coming..! Quick, pick up the bass and pretend to be playing it..! No, you fool, not that way round; even they know that's not right..! I'll be off...

(Scuttles back behind the skirting, leaving a trail of cheese and biscuit crumbs...)

PS: Not all the posts here are entirely serious. One has to learn how to sort the wheat from the chaff. ;)[size=4] [/size]

Edited by Dad3353

I am the mirror image of you Sir- a bassist learning drums!

I played them in my teenage years although not to a particularly high standard, but always wanted to return to them one day. For my birthday this year I was given an old Tama Rockstar kit. The Mrs isn't happy, but it's in the spare room and takes a beating almost every day!

You're welcome matey :)
One piece of advice that's often mentioned on here is
"lock into that bass drum" - so I'm sure that won't take you long ;)

I've worked with some really great drummers, and 2 in particular
who just seem to produce wonderful drumming, where I can tell exactly where I am in the song
- I can almost switch off, and know from the drumming if I've miss counted, or let my mind wander too much
(easily done for me!)
I'm sure that other band members haven't noticed these touches

[quote name='BigDrum&Bass' timestamp='1410393753' post='2549096']
And oh my god Coilte, 'safe hand technique' What have i got myself into? How dangerous can playing the bass be?! haha
[/quote]

One of the drummers I play with often loses a drum stick, mid-song
and it comes flying in my direction - it can be very dangerous ;)

Cheers again, and let us know how you're getting on

[quote name='BigDrum&Bass' timestamp='1410393753' post='2549096']
And oh my god Coilte, 'safe hand technique' What have i got myself into? How dangerous can playing the bass be?! haha
[/quote]

Yeah, might be too dangerous for ya....stick to the drums. :P

[size=4]Seriously though, playing say, with bent wrists can result in tendon problems after a time. It could take a few years before the problem reveals itself, by which time it can be too late and a visit to the doc/physio is the order of the day. Another problem the new bass players experience is when they use what's called the "one finger per fret system" on the lower frets (1-5). [/size]

[size=4]Check out the link below. It is not my intention to be a scare monger, but IMO it is no harm for you to be aware of the possible results of playing in a certain way.[/size]

[size=4]Here is the link. [/size][size=4]Happy (and safe... ;)) playing. [/size]

[size=4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y57-2eaTBwc[/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size]

Lord, I've just spent 2 years taking drum lessons and now returned to my new love.

Two bits of advice

1. enjoy it - it's different, but a joy and you'll have a great time whether you stick with it or return to your first love

2. get a good teacher. Try to find a *bass* player teacher, and not just a guitar player who also teaches bass as a sideline. Bass is an instrument of its own: it has a lot of skills and techniques all its own, and it's best to find a teacher immersed in the culture and feel of bass.

If you *do* go back to drums, you'll be a better drummer that's for sure (and the other way around I think!) :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of low downership! :)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1410460454' post='2549746']

.....2. get a good teacher. Try to find a *bass* player teacher, and not just a guitar player who also teaches bass as a sideline. Bass is an instrument of its own: it has a lot of skills and techniques all its own, and it's best to find a teacher immersed in the culture and feel of bass.

[/quote]

Definitely this :)
I'm sure there are guitarists out there, who also teach bass really well
But a bass playing teacher has to be the better option,
as someone who truly understands the instrument, rather than someone who dabbles.....