Why become a member? ×

Headphone / Bass pre amps

NoirBass

My current main gig requires IEM so I bought a Shure PSM200 which works great.
However, Its wireless and means I go through a lot of 9V batteries.
For most gigs I don't need to be wireless and I use a cable from my bass to my pre amp anyway so I'm pretty much tied down.

My solution has been to buy a cheap Behringer MA400 to mix my bass signal with my aux send from the bands desk. I like the ability to balance my bass with the mix and the MA400 has a 'through' XLR which means I can monitor exactly what is going to the desk.

What I don't like is the Behringer craps out with any sort of hot signal or volume above 50%. I think i need to invest in a higher quality headphone / bass pre

I'm currently running: Bass(Jazz Bass)>Bass pre(Sansamp RBI or Aguilar Tonehammer)>Behringer MA400>Desk

So, what I'd like to do is to condense everything to one box; a Bass preamp with XLR out that also has headphone out (with volume control) and Aux input (with level control) that won't be routed to the XLR out.

The Phil Jones Bass Buddy looks like it might do the job, can anyone with one confirm this? or can anyone recommend anything else I may have overlooked?

Cheers

Edited by NoirBass

The Bass Buddy is a wonderful tool but it's not really designed for live use IMHO. Anyway, it's probably overkill.

The Sansamp RBI has two outputs, "Sansamp" and "Uneffected". The Uneffected output has a number of possible uses, including Tuner Out, but my point is that it is an uneffected, unboosted output.

Take a lead from Uneffected to the MA400 while you run your 'main' lead from Sansamp to the FOH desk. You'll have lovely clean bass in your IEM.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1410361386' post='2548557']
3 Leaf Enabler should do it...but won't do any overdriven sounds, should you need them.
[/quote]

That was the other option I was thinking of, I take it the aux in signal doesn't go to the XLR out?

Overdrive is no problem, I can add that with pedals.

No idea, but I wouldn't think the Aux input went to the DI with your bass signal.

Two other thoughts - the SF[x] guy (Max?) on here could put something together, or may already have something that does what you want. Also, the Nashville solution used to be a system called MOR-Me (or something similar) which enabled bass players to add themselves to an existing monitor mix to suit...may be worth a search to see what that was.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1410364345' post='2548600']
3 Leaf Enabler is what you want, stunning piece of kit.
I'm almost certain that Aux in doesn't go to the XLR as I know it doesn't go to the jack out, just the headphones, but I'll check the XLR output later

Si
[/quote]

Nice one Si

I use a variation of your system, for the same reasons, the difference is I use an amp and cab, too, for the drummer or guitarist to hear if/when they're not using IEMs.

I run the Tuner out of my Markbass F1 into one channel of a Behringer (I know, but there's a better control over levels) HA4700, and the aux send from the PA into the other channel, and I can get a good mix of me and the PA send into my IEMs, with even some rudimentary EQ. It's never crapped out on me yet, and is even fairly quiet (certainly quiet enough for use live). The DI to the PA goes from the F1, which separates it from the signal levels for my monitoring.

I should add that my signal's already wet before it hits the F1 (which I run flat) as I use an iPod-based preamp (the Jampup modelling app).

Dunno whether that helps, but it certainly works for me.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1410359738' post='2548535']
However, Its wireless and means I go through a lot of 9V batteries.
[/quote]

Side-note - rechargable NiMH last a lot longer than alkaline batteries on average. You can even fast-charge them during the gig so you start each set with a fresh... um... set.

[quote name='Magic Matt' timestamp='1410423801' post='2549220']
Side-note - rechargable NiMH last a lot longer than alkaline batteries on average. You can even fast-charge them during the gig so you start each set with a fresh... um... set.
[/quote]

That's true, but I find that when rechargeable batts go flat they do instantly with no warning. Normal alkaline batts have a gradual fail, thus giving me time between songs to change if need be.

PS: Thanks for all the replies everyone, lots of research to do although the Enabler looks ideal - If only it had a headphone volume control.

Edited by NoirBass