Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie 400, opinions?

JamesTun

Interesting, Mesa Boogie isn't my most knowledgeable brand. But I know the difference between the 400 and the 400+. There is more graphic EQ controls and as you say more power in the valves.

In the early 90s these were the amps to have. Still are reliable and great sounding. I think this will go great with an Ampeg classic as well.

I'm on my forth one now which says something (stupid for selling or stupid for buying again!) I really love these and can't afford the new Mesa heads, They seem to be getting cheaper since the new Mesa Valve heads came out too.

I never use the Graphic EQ really preferring to just use the tone controls on the amp which do take some getting use to and to be honest you would be best ignoring the numerals on the pots because they mean very little if you want to set it flat.

Look after the valves and you will never have any problems IMO, I always revalve with JJ's as soon as I buy a new one.

Combine a 400+ with a 1516 and it's tone heaven but I use to use it through a Ampeg fridge too.

I think they moved away from valves as they saw the market was in SS.
A good 20 year old amp is nothing in terms of use, IF it has been designed and built well
and had a few services. On that basis, I wouldn't expect one to miss a beat in that time
and far beyond.

The other thing is that it should have been a quality amp in a time before Far East builds
and cheaper component spec so this should help longevity especially as it a top range
product at the time.

Definitely pair it with the 1516 cab, IME as I feel it is a more sound cultured cab than the Ampeg fridge.

The Boogie will take your SVT3s glasses off and stamp on them. Go for it. I had a 400+ for years and it easily competed with loud drummers and two full stacks. Great loud punchy tone. Effortless. And better than an SVT2 also. I wanted to like the SVTs but always sold them. I've had various Mesas for comparison but you'll be happy with the 400 if you want punch for slapping but with enough weight behind it.
I did move on to a DB750 after which was tighter/clearer at higher volumes and saved on power tubes. Still heavy tho.

Its literally why I bought it. The SVT 3 Pro wasn't doing it for me. Especially through a TC electronic cab. The combination didn't really do it for me. But I put the TC Electronic cab through a carvin bx 500. And that sounded amazing. Its the combinations that make great sounds.

This Mesa 400 will be going through a Ampeg SVT-210HE Classic. So the cab will smooth out the sound for the finger playing. But the Mesa will bring out a great sound, hopefully! Should be getting it on this Friday!

Might invest in a little head like a Carvin BX model. Just for the light moving around. Because as we all know, the Mesa Boogies are really not light!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1410864935' post='2553954']
I haven't played that particular rig, but I get the feeling that if you turn the volume knob up on the Mesa too quickly the cab may explode ;-)
[/quote]

Yep, 2x210's for that amp, unless VERY careful, IMO.

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1410864935' post='2553954']
I haven't played that particular rig, but I get the feeling that if you turn the volume knob up on the Mesa too quickly the cab may explode ;-)
[/quote]
I'm not sure if it applies to this vintage of Mesa, but I've found some of their products do have a rapid ramp up on the volume knob. You might want/need to get a different taper volume pot wired in. I did that with one of their guitar amps and it made it much more practice-friendly.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1410887029' post='2554358']
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the notion of a 400 as a 'practice' amp. Headphones in the bedroom, perhaps..? We rehearse (and play out...) with a Hiwatt 200 valve head, but for practice, I use a Vox Amplug..! :P
[/quote]

Haha, I think I worded that wrongly. Its for future gigs and sometimes a practice amp!

[quote name='JamesTun' timestamp='1410608243' post='2551207']
Why did they stop producing them?
[/quote]

Weird Darwinian thing happened. Bass players evolved into pussies and wanted lightweight gear. Fortunately there were a few of us who were isolated from the main population and evolved in our way and have a flight or fight response when we see solid state amps or hybrids.

The graphic is good however once you get your head around the fact that Bass=3, Mid =10, Treble = 3 is about flat the knobs are just as useful.

The 400+ is one of 3 amps modelled as standard options in Logic Pro X, the others being the SVT and B15 flip top. That's all you ever need really.

I love the 400+ I have, it's one of the best products I've ever owned.

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='JamesTun' timestamp='1410891425' post='2554429']
Haha true true.

I like having lightweight cabs. But don't really mind about the heads because you can just place them on top of the cabs so it is relatively easier to have heavier items.

Saying that I do like GK/Carvin heads for the their weight and the punch which it gives.
[/quote]
I've found the cabs are bulkier so the weight is a bigger factor. The head is heavy, but compact (vs a cab) so it isn't as cumbersome. I'd totally cut cab weight first.

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1411166464' post='2557284']
I've found the cabs are bulkier so the weight is a bigger factor. The head is heavy, but compact (vs a cab) so it isn't as cumbersome. I'd totally cut cab weight first.
[/quote]

You're right. Its why I'd probably go for a GK/TC electronic cab because its more of a one man job. I don't mind having the weight because I can just stick some wheels onto it if necessary.

[quote name='JamesTun' timestamp='1411165599' post='2557280']
Finally got it today. Pretty heavy in its flight case. Haven't played it yet. What Head to Cab cable does this use? I bought a regular one and it doesn't fit.

See picture (Far left).

[/quote]

You need a speaker jack into one of the jack sockets (say 4 ohm) on the back and a speakon or speaker jack on the other end into the cab. The balanced output on the far left is the DI out to a mixing desk, there's no power in that, well not enough to drive a cab anyway. Make sure you use speaker cable not instrument cable.

When you start playing through it, turn the graphic EQ off and get to understand the mid/treble/bass controls first and what the push/pull settings do. Then when you're happy you've got your head around that section and its California quirkiness have a go at the graphic.

I tend not to use the graphic and run the knobs at Treble 3 (not 3 O'Clock), Bass 3, Mid 10. Master never goes above 5 (unless you want dirt).