Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie 400, opinions?

JamesTun

As you see I have one and also it's predecessor - the Bass 400 (only 6 output valves - 6550's).

Both are superb amps and the 400 has given 25 years of service without any trouble at all. Tone-wise they're brilliant but they do taking some living with to get the best out of them. You need to experiment with the tone controls to get your sound but, whatever your sound is - it's in there I guarantee.

Guest monsterthompson

They are pretty awesome based on the players using them. I haven't played one, but I've got a Mesa Buster. The gent I bought it from said the 400 is a bit warmer and "valve-like" in tone. The D180 is another Mesa legend, which is pre 400 and it generates legendary dirt tones. The new Prodigy probably could do some 400-like tones. The 400 bottom line is that it sounds great, but you are dealing with 80's/90's valve technology and production, thus reliability. It's big and heavy, and costs a few ducats to re-tube. If those trade-offs are worth it, then I think there are gems out there to be had.

I like what I am hearing.

I'm a fan boy of Claypool and King, those kind of players so I thought that I should look into what gear they used. Rather than getting a Carl Thompson (Virtually impossible).

I have always rated the clarity and attack of Mesa Boogies in general. However most do not have graphic EQs. Whereas the 400+ has that. I would never buy an amp without graphic EQ because it allows you edit the sound very individually. The adaptability in this sense is very admirable. I like how you can change from 4 ohms to 8. And as you said it compliments the player a lot more with the attack and diversity.

It does go down to 2 ohms as well.

I tend to have the rotary controls on the same settings and use the graphic to adjust for room acoustics so I generally agree about the use of a graphic. Loads of other options with the pull deep and pull bright switches too. I was daft enough to spend £3k on a Bass 400 and 2 2x15s in 1989 but haven't ever regretted it. Should have kept the 2x15 I sold but that's another story.

I've used them from time to time a while... never could afford or justify one though.
Normally always came with the 1516 cab which combined was a classic rig to rival
the best SVT's..in fact the Boogie cab shaded it for me.
Both plug and play amps...turn them up..twiddle a tad and you're there.
There is something about the big amps..and I'd say the DB750 series is the only other
amp that beats it, IME.

Edited by JTUK

I was on the verge of turning pro and read a review in a magazine which called it the Rolls Royce of amps and the best money could buy so I bought my rig without even hearing it. Not sure it was affordable or justifiable but I figured I should get the best there was.

In reality it has probably saved me a fortune in GAS over the years so maybe a wiser investment than I thought at the time.

Edited by Bassman Steve

Interesting. To me it sounds exactly what I want. I have a SVT 3 Pro, with a graphic EQ. I think its the 90s model. And the Mesa looks like an upgrade on that.

The tones are far more brighter from what I have heard. And the clarity even turned all the way up is still present. A 400+ through an Ampeg head is quite a great sound.

Ha ha ..and my DB is 43ibs...which makes me a chinaman :lol:
I never had to lift the 400 but I would certainly try and pick it up to see is
their weight spec is anywhere near ball park..

I'd say the 400 is light years better than the pro 3 which is not one thing or another IMO,

Not sure about the SVT ll being 70lbs either..I recall that being a 2 man lift to get it on top of a fridge..

I think the point being made is that you need to reconcile the weight of these things yourself.
I'd also research reliability patterns for the Boogie 400. My amp tech hates them ...and the SVT ll, as it happens..
as they are too heavy to lift and he says they aren't made too well... but I think he sees more gtr versions than bass.
He isn't against vavle amps at all tho as he grew up in the Marshal heyday...

If weight comes in as a factor, I'd consider vintage ( 90's and U.S made ) Eden which is quality kit for dirt cheap money. IMO.

When it comes to weight, its not a concerning factor as I do not have a fridge. I only have an Ampeg SVT 210HE. So its only a 2 by 10. Just swapped it for a TC electronic cab. This means I wouldn't have to put it on top of a fridge and just put it on waist height. Using the cab sideways up. This makes it easier to move everything around. The head I am putting it through is an early SVT 3 Pro as shown at the bottom. This weighs a total of 11 Kilograms, 7 lighter than the 400+. Which to think about isn't much.

The tones are similar but I think my SVT misses that scoop on the top that just edges the SVT.

Funny you should mention Eden, I have tried them when I didn't know what it was. And it was not what I was looking for at all. Out the three I tried (Where I didn't know which was which) Ampeg, Eden and Aguilar. The Ampeg came first, with the Aggie second and the Eden last. It was too muffled in comparison. I do like clarity and scoop sound. I know you cannot really account it to the cab. Its down to the head as well.

.[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1410508979' post='2550100']
Not sure about the SVT ll being 70lbs either..I recall that being a 2 man lift to get it on top of a fridge..
[/quote]

I got the wrong amp - I was one out!! It is Ampeg who give the weight so I would tend to be sure but certainly check the weight yourself. They're not light at the end of a gig!

That is what I mean, Aguilar say the DB750 is 43lbs... !!!
I would ask, on what planet? :lol:

Don't understand Eden being muffled myself... as it was often THE show amp for funk guys.
But if you didn't like them, you didn't like them. I wouldn't be pairing them up with an Ampeg cab myself
tho.

Eden amps=quality, IMO..
Eden cabs =quality AND heavy, but no heavier than Ampeg ceramics, IMO.
I do make the distinction about early U.S Eden tho with my comments.
I don't regard Eden as the same maker these days...so early U.S only.

Good price then. A little less power than a 400+ but you'll not notice that - cheaper to re-valve too. I use my 400 all the time.

As I've said earlier, it may take a while to get the sound you want because of the way the tone controls work with each other. The manual is on the Boogie site and is the same as the 400+ manual - all the features are the same.

Remember, as the manual says, take the master above 5 and you won't get any more volume, it just starts to add colour. Mine has never needed to go above 5 on the master and 4 on the channel.