Why become a member? ×

But I don't want the new U2 album on my phone :-(

malbass

Happily scrolling through the list of artists on my phone, so i could listen to some music at work this morning and noticed something that hadn't been there previously. Sitting there bold as brass between Tom Waits and Various Artists: U2. Thats a bit strange I thought, a quick google search later and discovered that it had been snook on there by powers outside of my control:

[url="http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/10/wtf-is-a-u2/"]http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/10/wtf-is-a-u2/[/url]

Never been a big fan of U2, they're harmless enough, I just don't want them on my phone. Doesn't seem there's much that can be done though which I'm not happy about!

I don't have the iTunes app or an iPhone...and if I did I would set them up like iTunes on my Mac Mini, which is basically "Hey! Apple! Keep tour nose out of my music library. Well, as much as you can with these things. Neither do I use cloud services, don't like them.

I think this is another gaff by Apple tbh.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1410439342' post='2549438']
I don't have the iTunes app or an iPhone...and if I did I would set them up like iTunes on my Mac Mini, which is basically "Hey! Apple! Keep tour nose out of my music library. Well, as much as you can with these things. Neither do I use cloud services, don't like them.

I think this is another gaff by Apple tbh.
[/quote]

Yep.

I do use iTunes to manage my music library, but I don't have an iTunes account so I don't seem to be troubled by this sort of nonsense.

But it's the way of the big brother world we're being drawn into. Resistance may be futile, but I'm trying to do my bit.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1410440110' post='2549453']
Great marketing move from U2... wonder how much that cost them..???
[/quote]

They did something similar a few years ago with a 'U2 special edition' version of an iPod.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-M9787LL-Generation-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0002ZAEYK

[/quote]

Well according to this it seems more like an Apple initiative, for which they gave U2 $100m. Blimey.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/u2-gets-100m-from-apple-to-give-away-new-album-30576404.html

[/quote]

seriously JT?

i think opinion is very firmly divided on this one and personally my take on it is 'how f***ing dare they'

judging by the reaction on soshal meeja seems like they are going to alienate as many fans as they might attract - and personally i hope that the net effect is the former

hrrmmmph

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1410440636' post='2549460']
Well according to this it seems more like an Apple initiative, for which they gave U2 $100m. Blimey.

[url="http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/u2-gets-100m-from-apple-to-give-away-new-album-30576404.html"]http://www.independe...m-30576404.html[/url]
[/quote]

Blimey indeed.... Bonio can afford to feed a few countries with that...or pay a few tax bills..??

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1410441368' post='2549466']
seriously JT?

i think opinion is very firmly divided on this one and personally my take on it is 'how f***ing dare they'

judging by the reaction on soshal meeja seems like they are going to alienate as many fans as they might attract - and personally i hope that the net effect is the former

hrrmmmph
[/quote]

I agree entirely.... that is why is is such a great move from their POV..
You don't get a choice whether you want the product and if FF is right, they (U2)
get paid a mint..

But, ruddy f***** cheek of it. And I hope they both get a bloody kicking from it

Don't seem to have this problem with my Nokia 3210.

Joking aside, I avoid Apple as much as possible - the closed system they developed is tremendously restrictive and great for stripping away people's rights.

Resale value of my CD / Vinyl collection - easily a few grand.
Resale value if it was purchased through iTunes - nil, it's absolutely non-transferrable.

Great marketing for both U2 and Apple, doubt the wider public would be so offended as most people posting to this thread though. People love free stuff even if it's trash IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1410441573' post='2549473']
And I hope they both get a bloody kicking from it
[/quote]

now i would quite happily pay a three figure sum to queue up in a massive line at wembley stadium while U2 are in stocks on the stage as we all file past and hand in our tickets and kick their f***ing arses good hard

maybe some nice lounge music in the background like tijuana brass band covers of U2's greatest hits

Edited by steve-bbb

Jeez - 1st World Problems or what????

You got a free album and to the best of my knowledge no-one has died because of it. What are you going to do when something REALLY horrible happens to you

Like a Cliff Richard album appearing on your phone :D

^Ha!

The U2 album ("like a rail replacement bus service, it lasts f*cking forever and goes nowhere" - NME :lol: ) is actually not on your iPhone, it's in the cloud.

As far as I can tell this means you can't even simply swipe on the songs and delete them, you need to re-sync to iTunes to make it vanish.

Tosspots...

Edited by KK Jale