Why become a member? ×

But I don't want the new U2 album on my phone :-(

malbass

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1410442922' post='2549489']
Jeez - 1st World Problems or what????

You got a free album and to the best of my knowledge no-one has died because of it. What are you going to do when something REALLY horrible happens to you

Like a Cliff Richard album appearing on your phone :D
[/quote]

you mean like this?

I thought I'd had my account hacked when I first saw it. I don't particularly like U2 or hate them (obviously I hate Bono, that's standard!) but didn't feel strong enough to complain to anyone about it. First world problems, as said earlier.

And those early Cliff Richard recordings are great IMHO.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1410448519' post='2549560']
but didn't feel strong enough to complain to anyone about it. First world problems, as said earlier.
[/quote]
thats why we come on here to have a good old moan :P
And those early Cliff Richard recordings are great IMHO.
[/quote]
oh dear - look somebody has interfered with the B Side :o

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1410442922' post='2549489']
Jeez - 1st World Problems or what????

You got a free album and to the best of my knowledge no-one has died because of it. What are you going to do when something REALLY horrible happens to you

Like a Cliff Richard album appearing on your phone :D
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: excellent

Well, regardless of the general dislike for U2 here, they are Irelands biggest rock 'export' since Thin Lizzy and there will be a lot of people doing the happy dance tonight after being given access to this freebie.

It's [b]not[/b] been downloaded to your device though.
It's being hosted on iCloud and a link to that has been added to your iTunes account.
That's what happens when you start using hardware and software in a closed environment.

The cynic in me is muttering stuff about 'chart manipulation' and 'guaranteed number one slots'. ;)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1410462876' post='2549783']
The cynic in me is muttering stuff about 'chart manipulation' and 'guaranteed number one slots'. ;)
[/quote]

As far as I'm aware, artists can only give away (for promo use etc…) a finite number of units and still 'chart'. Giving it away to everybody should (hopefully) preclude them from massive airplay and chart success.

I downloaded it just to give it a listen. It's very pedestrian stuff, with no real standout tracks. Hell, Bono's lyrics don't even fit the melody half of the time.
Mercifully it's an mp3 release, which means valuable resources won't have been wasted in producing physical copies.

There you go - it's not all bad.

I thought I'd had my account hacked when I first saw it. I don't particularly like U2 or hate them (obviously I hate Bono, that's standard!) but didn't feel strong enough [/quote]
Even Bonobo gets tired of Bonobo sometimes, I heard him say so. "Make Bono History. Now" I say.

I downloaded it and listened on way into work. Not a standout album; liked "Iris" (new order style bass) and "reach" (a decent bass driven stomper); rest fairly pedestrian. Even includes standard eigth note bassline on one tune, but it sort of works there. Will probably delete most of it except two tracks mentioned.

I dont care that Apple put it there, it took up no storage until I downloaded it, and I can offload it if I want. There are bigger issues,.

I guess U2 fans will be happy but, as pointed out earlier, they must be very much in the minority of for most itunes users. So Apple spends $100m on something that has predictably upset a lot of its customers and is a gift for loads of bad publicity. Perhaps they subscribe to the notion that any publicity is good publicity?

Anyway, here's how to remove this "musical malware" :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29157217

Foolishly installed an iTunes software upgrade this morning on my PC. Just checked the Recent Additions and it has magically appeared. Now I have to make it magically disappear as I'm not the slightest bit interested in U2 or their recordings.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1410522152' post='2550307']
Someone, don't know who, said it is similar to the type of 'present' that a cat gives you when it leaves it's latest rodent kill in the middle of your kitchen floor. :)
[/quote]

. . . . It might have been worth it if U2 had actually been killed in the process ;)