Why become a member? ×

But I don't want the new U2 album on my phone :-(

malbass

I downloaded it out of curiosity, especially as they were claiming they'd gone back to their roots and also claiming to be paying homage to The Clash. Not really upset about what Apple have done - I can have a listen and then delete it. I think it's Apple who have lost out here by paying for this - on first listen I genuinely think the album should be given away for free anyway. If it wasn't U2, I don't think anyone would even be interested in it.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1410532623' post='2550495']
I think the problem here is where it could lead. One album from a group that no one here likes is one thing but what if it got to 1,000s of albums a week? That would be a different level of annoyance and drive people away. Guess Apple would be aware of this though...
[/quote]
Some people who posted here do like them if you read back; i like them a bit less after this

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1410467274' post='2549831']

As far as I'm aware, artists can only give away (for promo use etc…) a finite number of units and still 'chart'. Giving it away to everybody should (hopefully) preclude them from massive airplay and chart success.
[/quote]

Interesting point. But surely it's Apple who have given the album away, and U2 have been paid a significant sum for the right to do so, so it's not a free promo copy and therefore will count?

I'm afraid I deleted the link without listening - on the basis that it's MY iTunes folder and I'll decide what goes in it - not Apple. I thought I had all the privacy settings on, but it downloaded the link today when I downloaded an album I actually wanted, by a fantastic band who are far more worthy of a listen than U2 : Blackie and The Rodeo Kings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=luBBeC8Acdg

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1410550646' post='2550773']
Dunno about U2, but something that sounds like a coldplay album and labelled as a U2 one seems to have appeared in my iTunes library :(
[/quote]
To be fair if it does found like Coldplay... It only sounds like Coldplay trying to sound like U2.

presumably apple are going to tout this little oevre on their download charts as all part of the apple/u2 circle jerk schtick

how about this

if they can access my itunes account well enough to place it in the tunes queue ready for download, then they should friggin well ought to be able to tell when ive deleted it too

and hence knock it back down the chart listing accordingly

its only fair :)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1410809062' post='2553480']
So, Apple spends $100m on an early Christmas present for its iTunes customers and then has to help them throw it away . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29208540

Jobs will be spinning in his grave :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

And just like that it's gone and all is right with the world again!! Thanks!

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1410539941' post='2550597']
Just checked my iPhone, and lo and behold... no U2!

On balance I feel pretty good about that - it means that Apple doesn't have access to *everyone* with an iPhone. Or maybe they just don't like me... Either way it's a big :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

What happened was that rather than offer the album for free, Apple added it to every iTunes users library. Most people have their device set to automatically download things that get added to their library. That's how it ended up in their phones.

It's a stupid move, but people are getting far too excited about apple and u2 "hacking" their phones which is just nonsense.

Edited by uncle psychosis

I truly don't see what all of the fuss is about.

Their last album sold about 5 million copies, how many of the people who are complaining would have bought it anyway, and are just moaning because it seems 'cool' to ?

You've been given free music, stop wingeing 😊

How would you feel if you awoke one morning to find that a video of a party political broadcast by someone you detested (BNP for example, other parties are available) had been added to your iTunes/iPod without your knowledge or consent?

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1410866636' post='2553984']
How would you feel if you awoke one morning to find that a video of a party political broadcast by someone you detested (BNP for example, other parties are available) had been added to your iTunes/iPod without your knowledge or consent?
[/quote]

You really compare a new U2 album with a party political broadcast, that's kind of a strange analogy 😊

If you don't like it just delete it.

It's marketing, U2s back catalog sales have leapt, partly I'm guessing because some people have listened to the album, who otherwise wouldn't have, and have liked it and bought it.

Personally I don't like U2, I don't really like anything mainstream. I would however listen to it, I was given it. I have my iTunes preference set so I wasn't given it, and can't be bothered changing them so I get it.

It's music, you got it free, if you don't want it, then delete it.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1410867414' post='2553994']
You really compare a new U2 album with a party political broadcast, that's kind of a strange analogy [/quote]
What with Bonio's habit of being a preachy lecturing old bore, I think it's a pretty close comparison :lol:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1410865815' post='2553973']
I truly don't see what all of the fuss is about.

Their last album sold about 5 million copies, how many of the people who are complaining would have bought it anyway, and are just moaning because it seems 'cool' to ?

You've been given free music, stop wingeing
[/quote]

I think it's the 'given' thing that rankles. Sure, they've made it very easy to delete if you don't want it, but it would have caused them less adverse publicity if they had 'offered' the album and made it just as easy for someone to choose to accept it.

If someone broke into your house (with no damage) and left a copy on your coffee table would you be thankful or would you think it was a bloody cheek?