Why become a member? ×

My fingers sound different

Twincam

I so hope this does not sound stupid.

Ive noticed recently my pointer finger has a very treble sound when plucking, and my middle finger sounds like the treble has been rolled off and its very noticeable. Like the difference between a finger plucking and using the pad of your thumb.

To be honest im not sure if this is a problem or not if im playing something quick its hardly noticeable, but playing slower i can hear it, maybe more so as im now listening for it. Almost like someone turning the tone control up and down somewhat.

Ive tried all sorts to correct this but the fact is my middle finger has a lot more padding to it so to say.

I guess some might see this as a plus but i don't fancy playing with one finger then going to the other when i need a change of tone lol.

Does anyone else find this?, Is this even a issue?.

No i won't become a pick player haha.

I think this is more common that you might expect.

It's the other way around for me.

Index finger has a marginally duller/thumpier sound, due to even if my nail is growing a little long it misses the string so I'm only playing with flesh/callous.

However, middle finger unless i cut my nail extremely short it will catch the string and so more attack and slightly treblier.

For greater evenness of tone, especially on slower 1/8ths or 1/4ths, I do play with one finger.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1410459330' post='2549726']
The callous on your index finger has merely become harder than the one on your middle finger (mine are like this). I can only suggest playing more with your middle finger to get that one suitably hard core.
[/quote]

Yeah checked that and there equal in hardness and size and placing. Ive tried using different techniques such as letting my finger bend and roll over the string and same result.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1410459781' post='2549736']
Yeah checked that and there equal in hardness and size and placing. Ive tried using different techniques such as letting my finger bend and roll over the string and same result.
[/quote]

You probably need to practice your technique. Play some sh*t really slowly and concentrate HARD on plucking evenly on both fingers. Do exercises that involve crossing strings, paradiddle your fingers ( [i]i i m i m m i m i i m i m m i m [/i]etc ), and whatever else you fancy. Do it regularly and you'll probably reap good rewards.

Your fingers are different lengths, the middle finger is slightly longer than your index finger, and slightly wider too with a bigger pad.

Playing finger style, your fingers will always sound slightly different.

It's just down to practice really, to even out the dynamics.

I know my fingers won't sound the same but mine is really different, like sounding like a normal roundwound with one finger and a flatwound with the other the volume is also different.

Tried playing soft and hard, with both fingers and the outcome is the same even if i play soft with one and hard with the other. I honestly don't know how ive missed this before.

I always make a point of keeping my nails short on my right (picking) hand otherwise I can sometimes get an unwanted clang as nail hits string. But as others have said, it's a matter of technique because different fingers will have different strength impact on the strings until muscle memory takes over with practice.

When you play try angling your fingers back towards the bridge a little, so they're not perpendicular to the strings. With them at an angle you'll minimise the length difference and hopefully you'll have a more balanced sound as the index and middle fingers hit the strings more evenly.

Yeah im hitting the strings with equal force, ive tried angling my fingers and all sorts now. But my middle finger is still fatter so to say then my pointer finger an no matter what the angle the damping affect of the fatter finger pad on my middle finger dampens the noise.

I don't think this is a technique issue, I think im just going to have to find a work around and live with it.

I have a vague recollection of you saying you practice playing unamplified or at low volume... if so then this might have some bearing on your right hand technique. The old adage of 'let the amp do the work' is relevant here, if you're having to put a lot of effort into hitting the strings in order to hear yourself then this might be where you're going wrong so to speak. Turn the amp up or listen via headphones and use the tips of your fingers to strike the strings, not the fleshy pads (calloused or otherwise) and hopefully you'll get a more even sound from finger to finger and you'll also probably be able to play faster runs.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410469993' post='2549880']
I like to throw in a Billy Sheehan ring finger now and again too,
[/quote]

:blink:
How many do you have, and doesn't he miss them?

EDIT: I do the same thing though. But not so much these days, as if I need the extra speed I tend to switch to a pick. The faster songs tend to need the extra attack

Edited by bartelby

have you altered anything else which might affect your fingers

ie your arm/wrist position on the body, strap height etc etc - they could change the angle you hand contacts the strings - and as Nige says try some practice routines slowly and see whats going on - if your finger contacts the string sort of parallel to the bass body then you generally tend to use the softer pard of the pad of your fingertip (ie nearer the top knuckle) which gives a much softer tone and a slight soft thud edge) - arch your wrist upwards and the tips of your fingers (ie nearer the nail) will go across the string producing a brighter more defined sound (usually the type of sound you want playing close to the bridge to get burp-tone) - hope this helps

edit - just thought i dont have any callouses or hard pads on either hand and its not like i dont play a fair bit - usually at least an hour if not two practice every day) :huh: maybe it's a callous thing ?

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1410460170' post='2549742']
Do exercises that involve crossing strings, paradiddle your fingers ( [i]i i m i m m i m i i m i m m i m [/i]etc ), and whatever else you fancy. Do it regularly and you'll probably reap good rewards.
[/quote]

Holy cow. I've never thought of right hand paradiddles. Cool idea!

I play with my fingers as i have no nerves in my thumb due to an accident many years ago. I find it difficult to hold a plectrum. I dont have any issue sounding different with any of my fingers. I can only assume its your techinque. If you have long fingernails this may cause a problem....i bite mine so thats not an issue for me! :rolleyes:

Edited by paulbass