Why become a member? ×

"fixing" leather dye?

Pinball

I have a nice suede guitar strap that I have had fitted to my bass for sometime and this weekend we played a mammoth practice session. After we had finished I was alarmed to find that the red dye had come out of it and stained my shirt. Is there any way to "fix it" as I like the strap?

My good lady worked with leathers and suede for a fair while, and could suggest nothing practicable, and a decent search of t'web drew a blank. Maybe fixing (sewing..? sticking..?) a lining to the offending surface..?
Where did you get this from..? Is it new..? Have you contacted the supplier, to see if they've had this before, and have a recommendation..? I suppose wearing red shirts to gigs is not an option..? It'll probably stabilise after a while, but that 'while' could be a long one. Stumped, I'm afraid.

Edited by Dad3353

It shouldn't be leeching dye.

If it's a genuine, real suede strap I would consider washing it.
If it's genuine suede, without a load of padding stitched inside, then run a sinkful of warm water and add a good capful of some decent fabric detergent to it.

Let the strap soak for an hour, topping up with hot water to keep it warm.

Then put your Marigolds on and give it a good massaging in the warm water. Add more soap as required.

When colour eventually stops coming out of it, rinse it in clean cold water until no colour at all comes out, not even a trace.

Remove from the cold water and squeeze out as much water as you can. Give it a good squeeze in an old towel until you can't get it any dryer, then hang it somewhere to dry naturally. Don't force dry it with a hair dryer or in an airing cupboard or in the sun. Just let it dry naturally.

Visit it frequently to rub the fuzz back up with your hand.

Be advised it may take many days to be completely dry. Possibly longer.

Hope this helps.

Karl

Thanks for the replies. I bought it at the start of this year but only started using it for longer periods recently. Unfortunately I don't have proof of purchase anymore.

I'll try the washing thing, its worth a shot. It is unbranded but it seems to be real suede with some padded sticking inside, which is why I like it.

Note: A red shirt? luckily I was wearing one but it had white lines in it. The dye did wash out of that so there is hope

Cheers