Why become a member? ×

New Rig, New sound, No idea

Tm99

Hi,

Looking for a new rig and have NO idea which way to go.
Ive played metal for years so always had a heavy sound, This isnt my band, just a good example of the sound i had... about 20secs in is just the bass (waiting for the "Cant hear it when its that heavy so buy anything" comments haha)
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DniA9A1P6E"]https://www.youtube....h?v=_DniA9A1P6E[/url]
Im after an amp that can go heavy but also go clean as i help out in a friends cover band playing soft rock, rock n roll etc. Going from Thrash/death metal to Beatles needs a very different sound :-)
I used Peavey MK IV for years (Still have it) then moved over to my Peavey Tmax which has been great ever since.
Cabs i use are 2 Megabass... Huge heavy things.
Main reasons for change is the physical size of it all considering i dont play as often & The Tmax struggles on the cleaner sounds, 'G' & 'D' strings just fade away whilst the 'A' & 'E' still have loads of thump.

Been reading up on PF800, GK 1001, Peavey Tour 700, had a friend big up Markbass... Then i was Just going through Youtube and heard this... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea28WugxQzo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Ea28WugxQzo[/url] I dont know a thing about TC, the sound at the start of the video is almost the sound i like.
Gak is selling one reduced from £2100 to £999... sounds to good to be true.
Im not set on anything so open to all opinions.
I like the idea of the smaller heads though like the PF800 & GK Fusion 800.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
More than happy to expand on any questions too... Im new to this amp hunting lark, had the Megabass & Peavey stack for so long.

I dont have a music shop near me to go try loads out (Southampton), closest to me is GAK... i want to try narrow the search down before heading all that way, dont want to go in asking to try 15 heads if i can delete a few from the list here with good advice.

Thanks in advance.

Many moons ago I had a Peavey 1810 cab (1x18 + 2x10) and experienced the same problem, the top end was non-existent. I reckon you should look to change the cabs personally. I concluded they were a great idea but just didn't work.

If you go to GAK and audition heads you'll not put them through your cab so you'll not get the sound you'll get at home. I have a horrible feeling you'll be forking out for a great amp but not find a solution to your problem.

I`m not saying this cos I have one for sale - as I think I now have a buyer so it doesn`t figure anyway - but TC Electronic amps are very versatile, with the features such as on-board tuner, different pre-sets, variable frequencies, they can cover most areas.

But out of those in the OP, the GK MB Fusion can do all sounds listed, and very nicely too.

The micro heads initially all sound pretty good but at volume you'll start to notice a lack of real weight to your sound. I've had a PF500, a PF350, an RH450 and an MB500. I've ditched them all and gone back to using an SWR combo (with a proper transformer in it!) for small gigs and a GK RB-700 for larger gigs. The micro heads just weren't cutting it at volume.

My advice would to be to change your cab before ditching your head. A more efficient cab will make you sound so different!

Also, having a 'heavy' sound comes from technique. If you want a less abrasive tone, try using lighter strings and a lighter touch.

Good luck!

Truckstop

Cheers for the replies.
I'm not set on micro heads tbh, I'm looking at new cabs too as mine are just too heavy & too big in size.
The Tmax head is 500w @ 2ohm, 350 @ 4. Next concern it's which cab, also what ohm to go for, If I shell out for two 4ohm 410s and the problem is the head I'm restricted to finding a 2ohm amp, what I've seen most are 4ohm.
Any recommendations on good quality cabs...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1410530042' post='2550445']
I`m not saying this cos I have one for sale - as I think I now have a buyer so it doesn`t figure anyway - but TC Electronic amps are very versatile, with the features such as on-board tuner, different pre-sets, variable frequencies, they can cover most areas.

But out of those in the OP, the GK MB Fusion can do all sounds listed, and very nicely too.
[/quote] another vote for TC here best amp and cab I have ever had :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1410604239' post='2551142']
I still use the TF but my "go to" amp is an Aguilar TH500. It's the only D class amp I'd recommend these days.
[/quote]

I`m really hoping there isn`t one of these at the SE Bash, or the dreaded GAS may get me.........

Seems to be a lot of hype with the RH amps and the 210 & 212 combined vertically, can't find much info on their 410.
I like the idea on the size of the 2 cabs, just curious on the 410. I've read all over the place not to mix match speaker sizes but TC seems to get complimented on combining.
Any cab tips?
I can't wait to try the TC head out against a few others... out of all the ones I've been liking this one seems on paper to tick the boxes, hope my ears like it as much

[quote name='Tm99' timestamp='1410592743' post='2551026']
Cheers for the replies.
I'm not set on micro heads tbh, I'm looking at new cabs too as mine are just too heavy & too big in size.
The Tmax head is 500w @ 2ohm, 350 @ 4. Next concern it's which cab, also what ohm to go for, If I shell out for two 4ohm 410s and the problem is the head I'm restricted to finding a 2ohm amp, what I've seen most are 4ohm.
Any recommendations on good quality cabs...
[/quote]

If you've not been rig shopping in years you've missed out on massive advances in cab/driver design that mean buying a pair of big-ass 4x10 cabs just isn't neccesary to get a big, room filling sound. Save your back!