Why become a member? ×

Right hand technique?

fatback

Playing the E string, I use the revolving wrist technique, to keep as much of the side of the finger in contact as possible. But I'm having real problems getting an even tone. Sometimes timing goes off as well. Horrible.

Are there any good vids out there that deal with this?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. No amount of practicing seems to be improving things. A tutor is out f the question, unfortunately, cos of where I live.

I am not 100% clear on what you mean, but I think you anchor your thumb on the pickup or top string and then rotate your wrist to move across the strings?

This would not only encourage unwanted side noise from unmuted strings when playing but it also means that depending on what string you are on angle and pressure on wrist and fingers will be different. Would explain why notes do no sound even.

I would advise you to practise moving your thumb whilst playing, where you anchor your thumb on the string above the string you are plucking and move your thumb when going to another string. This would improve right hand muting as well as give you even wrist and finger feel.

I my understanding about the rotating wrist is wrong pls ignore :)

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1410521210' post='2550288']
I am not 100% clear on what you mean, but I think you anchor your thumb on the pickup or top string and then rotate your wrist to move across the strings?

This would not only encourage unwanted side noise from unmuted strings when playing but it also means that depending on what string you are on angle and pressure on wrist and fingers will be different. Would explain why notes do no sound even.

I would advise you to practise moving your thumb whilst playing, where you anchor your thumb on the string above the string you are plucking and move your thumb when going to another string. This would improve right hand muting as well as give you even wrist and finger feel.

I my understanding about the rotating wrist is wrong pls ignore :)
[/quote]

Get back on your own side of the fence ;)

I have a problem with the E too, sometimes I pull off the string and lose contact with the fingerboard for a second. If it's a fast piece I stay on the fingerboard and use both fingers. But I'm never sure if I'm doing it right!
Geoff did a RH technique lesson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ99qaJV3XQ I can't watch it at work so not sure if it's any help?

I have a different problem with the E - I play a 5 so when I play the E with as much of my finger as possible, and my finger comes to rest against the low B I get a big thuddy impact sound (from the B string)via the piezo pickup.

But the annoying thing, is that sometimes I don't and it just sounds perfect. But I have no idea what I'm doing differently.

I like the thud sometimes, but I'd like to choose then it happens!

Edited by fretmeister

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1410523657' post='2550343']
Get back on your own side of the fence ;)

I have a problem with the E too, sometimes I pull off the string and lose contact with the fingerboard for a second. If it's a fast piece I stay on the fingerboard and use both fingers. But I'm never sure if I'm doing it right!
Geoff did a RH technique lesson [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ99qaJV3XQ"]https://www.youtube....h?v=iJ99qaJV3XQ[/url] I can't watch it at work so not sure if it's any help?
[/quote]

Hi there Hazbeen, thanks for the reply, but My problem is with upright. Not that I don't have plenty problems with the other machine too. :)

Bassfunk, thanks, I'll check that out.

Definitely a big problem with db as opposed to bg is that point where momentarily you have no anchor. I try hard not to use the fingertips except for fast passages, as I really like the big sound you get with meat of the finger, especially on the E.

[quote name='bassfunk' timestamp='1410534425' post='2550525']
Do you play with your fingers at the end of the fingerboard? I do this (mainly because my arms are fairly long so that's where it's comfortable) and find it easier if I'm at the end of the fingerboard.
[/quote]

Interesting you ask. I have to remind myself all the time while playing to extend my arm so my hand is down closer to the end. I'm inclined to stick my elbow out. I hadn't thought it might help with that wrist biz, so i'll watch that at practice tonight.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1410534886' post='2550531']
Interesting you ask. I have to remind myself all the time while playing to extend my arm so my hand is down closer to the end. I'm inclined to stick my elbow out. I hadn't thought it might help with that wrist biz, so i'll watch that at practice tonight.
[/quote]

+1 I find I get a better, more focused tone near the end of the fingerboard....but I still have to open the elbow a bit to allow it to fall. I find for right hand technique that string crossing exercises with open strings and a metronome are really useful. I also look at my right hand either directly or in a mirror when Im working on it in isolation. The other thing to always bear in mind is to try and stay as relaxed as possible....Good luck with your practice, I hope it goes well, cheers Geoff

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1410540362' post='2550602']
+1 I find I get a better, more focused tone near the end of the fingerboard....but I still have to open the elbow a bit to allow it to fall. I find for right hand technique that string crossing exercises with open strings and a metronome are really useful. I also look at my right hand either directly or in a mirror when Im working on it in isolation. The other thing to always bear in mind is to try and stay as relaxed as possible....Good luck with your practice, I hope it goes well, cheers Geoff
[/quote]

Thanks Geoff. I'll be looking at your excellent vids later too. It's only that hand rotation trick on the E string that's a problem. I'm fine with the rest.

btw, here's a q for you (while I have your attention :)) I'm getting my reading going by playing lots of transcription material, especially my hero Ray brown. Is it worth the effort trying to memorise full transcriptions? Do folks do that much?

Edited by fatback

Duuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh! Check the section before you respond..... Head hangs in shame ;p

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1410533244' post='2550509']

Hi there Hazbeen, thanks for the reply, but My problem is with upright. Not that I don't have plenty problems with the other machine too. :)

Bassfunk, thanks, I'll check that out.

Definitely a big problem with db as opposed to bg is that point where momentarily you have no anchor. I try hard not to use the fingertips except for fast passages, as I really like the big sound you get with meat of the finger, especially on the E.
[/quote]

Aha! :)

Thanks for the advice guys about playing lower down the board with the right hand. I think I've sourced the problem.

When I bend my elbow much and play a bit up from the end of the board, something about the angle means that when I do the wrist action to play on the E, there's a reluctance to alternate first and second fingers. I wasn't aware that I was playing mostly with my first finger, and no wonder I was having control problems in faster passages.

For some reason, when I play further down the board I alternate fingers naturally (while still revolving the wrist to a degree). Better timing. More consistent sound.

Thanks again. :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1410543862' post='2550650']
Thanks Geoff. I'll be looking at your excellent vids later too. It's only that hand rotation trick on the E string that's a problem. I'm fine with the rest.

btw, here's a q for you (while I have your attention :)) I'm getting my reading going by playing lots of transcription material, especially my hero Ray brown. Is it worth the effort trying to memorise full transcriptions? Do folks do that much?
[/quote]
[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1410611800' post='2551249']
Aha! :)

Thanks for the advice guys about playing lower down the board with the right hand. I think I've sourced the problem.

When I bend my elbow much and play a bit up from the end of the board, something about the angle means that when I do the wrist action to play on the E, there's a reluctance to alternate first and second fingers. I wasn't aware that I was playing mostly with my first finger, and no wonder I was having control problems in faster passages.

For some reason, when I play further down the board I alternate fingers naturally (while still revolving the wrist to a degree). Better timing. More consistent sound.

Thanks again. :)
[/quote]

Hey Fatback, great to hear you have got to the bottom of it.
RE: transcription. I tend to focus on learning phrases and playing them in loads of different contexts, rather than learn full transcriptions, especially in walking bass lines. For solos there's certainly no harm in learning a full one, but you could still just focus on learning the phrases that catch your attention and you can use.....both ways work really, so maybe mix it up. Good luck, it's a great thing to work on! Cheers Geoff

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1410626378' post='2551416']
Hey Fatback, great to hear you have got to the bottom of it.
RE: transcription. I tend to focus on learning phrases and playing them in loads of different contexts, rather than learn full transcriptions, especially in walking bass lines. For solos there's certainly no harm in learning a full one, but you could still just focus on learning the phrases that catch your attention and you can use.....both ways work really, so maybe mix it up. Good luck, it's a great thing to work on! Cheers Geoff
[/quote]

Thanks Geoff, that's really helpful. The thought of learning whole walking lines was pretty daunting, but I didn't want to be a shirker either. :)

I suspect what I need to do is pay more attention to the harmony behind the lines I'm reading (if I can work that out).

Edited by fatback