Why become a member? ×

What's your favourite Stingray tone?

Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1410881346' post='2554241']
Was it to do with neck radius? I was surprised at just how thick the necks are, definitely not the most playable of beasts.
[/quote]

Partly. I found the neck just a tad bit wider than my preferred. It was mostly because of the tone, it sounds good on some songs but didn't quite worked out on some ([b]for me anyway! don't shoot me for this![/b]) and the size of it as well. I'm only little!

It was a blind purchase anyway so I traded it. Looking at some Sterlings at the moment. It might work out this time!

[quote name='The fasting showman' timestamp='1410642019' post='2551621']
..... , I always think it sounds like a Stingray on 'Ashes to ashes' by Bowie, though I've only ever seen George Murray use a P bass or a Travis Bean ....
[/quote]

Exactly that is my vote too .... but could not find any info proving that it's a Stingray. Funny if my definition of a Stingray sound would have been played with a Precision :lol:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1410815676' post='2553596']

I'd be surprised if that's the Stingray on Lover Boy and Tie Your Mother Down. Sounds a lot more like the P to me.
I think Deacy's defining Stingray moment is Mustapha. Aleikum Salaam!

http://youtu.be/Oq6OoPB5FIM

I'm afraid I've only ever really enjoyed the 'ray sound when played with a pick and preferably drop-tuned - it's always sounded a bit too spanky for me when played fingerstyle (I can't stand that RATM tone). I like these:

http://youtu.be/dl60yuTJXZg

http://youtu.be/zf_oLG-GnpU
[/quote]
We can only speculate regarding studio stuff I guess although he uses a Ray live for all the songs I listed, montreal live 1981 features the Stingray a lot afaik for example, it is all in the fingers maybe?!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1410887714' post='2554373']
For all I love the Stingray tone, I fully understand your point here - it doesn't please my ears 100% of the time either, especially for fingerstyle. I don't find it to be the most versatile, multi-dimensional bass, but what it does, it does brilliantly imo.
[/quote]
I think you have to work a Stingray, I like that about them and think it has helped me become a more versatile player as the preamp can only get you so far, anyone expecting to play in the same position with the same technique as you can to some extent with a Jazz bass to cover many genres will be disappointed, I suspect P bass players would have a similar feeling as a fellow single pup bass players, but with a different outcome obviously.

Ive heard folk, jazz, funk, blues, rock and country all sound brilliant on a Ray.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410888881' post='2554392']

I think you have to work a Stingray, I like that about them and think it has helped me become a more versatile player as the preamp can only get you so far, anyone expecting to play in the same position with the same technique as you can to some extent with a Jazz bass to cover many genres will be disappointed, I suspect P bass players would have a similar feeling as a fellow single pup bass players, but with a different outcome obviously.

Ive heard folk, jazz, funk, blues, rock and country all sound brilliant on a Ray.
[/quote]

Fair points all. And to be honest, I've never owned one so I can't write them off, and wouldn't anyway. I have also heard session players absolutely own it in multiple styles on a 'Ray. Go easy on me though, I'm just a beginner and so at the moment I like to just plug in and there's my sound :-)

As the clips you are liking are either stingray 5s which may be ceramic (good chance really) and the USA Sterling im thinking you are liking the ceramic pickup tone?

Ive just come from my band practice with the trio, and I was at one yesterday with a function band, the blue sr5 did everything from ub40 to pretenders to status quo, beatles, queen, wings, cult, van morrison, eagles etc etc im not sure how many more tricks it needs, I think the fact I used a pick, fingers, slap, thumb and a palm muted pick style might help though (thats just live and let die, lol). The 3 eq SR5 with pickup selector probably does lend itself to more styles easier than my Classic5 with its 2 eq preamp and parallel only alnico pickup but man its a nice bass! :D

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1411200100' post='2557377']
Pino - always been fabulous in my view - this shows his chops well - crazy Stingray sound and fretless all at once

[media]http://youtu.be/ClMU4oxag60[/media]
[/quote]
thanks for posting that never seen it before and totally made my day/month just what the Dr ordered!!

Bernard Edwards could get that beautiful, tight, bubbly tone from his MM's. I absolutely love that tone.

I love the MM tone for finger playing. Add a small bit of mid boost and the note balance is one of the best in the business. MM's are great for cutting through the mix without having to fiddle too much with the natural, flat tone.

I have never been keen on the slap tone from MM's...or pick playing for that matter. Not that I think they are rubbish for those techniques...there are a lot of players that make it work for them, but I personally prefer other basses for those jobs.

I don't know if it'll count but Trivium's bassist used a double EMG MM 'bucker loaded BC Rich Warlock 5 string on their latest album and it sounds phenomenal.

If not, then i'd have to say Blasko from the Ozzy Osbourne band on the "Black Rain" album or John Myung from Dream Theater on the "Octavarium" album (even though i'm not a fan of DT)

Edited by SmallDawg

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1411377056' post='2558808']
All these clips of Disco, Pop, Rock, Funk, Soul, Ballads, Prog Rock, Blues, 80's Slap etc are just high lighting just what a one trick pony the Stingray really is ;)
[/quote]

You missed out Acoustic ;)
David Bowie, Live Acoustic "Heroes": http://youtu.be/pBiiFplMWls

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1411380645' post='2558849']

You missed out Acoustic ;)
David Bowie, Live Acoustic "Heroes": http://youtu.be/pBiiFplMWls
[/quote]
Sorry yes clearly no good for that either! Can we decide which of these tricks it is good at is the one trick it does?

If you can't cover every genre with one you need to look closer to home imo :)

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1411380884' post='2558853']
Actually, I forgot that Nate Newton from Converge used a Stingray for quite a while (since switched to Precisions). Unconventional but awesome Stingray tone at 0:40 on [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsLzD1R-QdU"]this[/url] track!
[/quote]

I wasn't familiar with them, thats easy listening covered now then too :lol: