Why become a member? ×

Which 500 watt combo

Leslie77s

Advice required, again. I have hunted high and low in my area and the Retailers are no use. I understand in tough financial times shops can't buy in what they can't sell but the places in Glasgow don't have deals with the manufacturers I want to try out so how can make an informed decision?

Id like to test Mark Bass, Phil Jones, Tonehammer(head) and Tecamp around the 500 watt size.

Looks like I'll have to travel so any ideas informative player dudes?

For me, the reason why I went with Markbass, aside from the weight/portability of course, was having heard so many bassists use them and get sounds I loved. Literally every time I liked the sound of a bassist, their rig was a Markbass rig. So if the option of trying them out isn`t there, go and see bands and make notes every time you hear a bassist whose tone you like. You should soon see a pattern.

It's the online buyers world I suppose, gone are the days of plug in, play and buy!
Thanks for your comments, trouble is most players I admire have huge, expensive well maintained vintage rigs with the hairy fellas in black t shirts to lift them around!
My Fender Showman, Bassmans/Ampeg and Ashdown have all taken there toll on car springs and my back. I just can't be bothered moving them at 2am any more. May have to buy blind(deaf)...you get the point.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1410604921' post='2551159']
Well going from your amps listed above, I`d also check out the new Fender Rumble amps. We seem to have similar taste in amp brands and I think these amps sound great on-line.
[/quote]

I played one of those new Fender Rumbles last week in a shop in Belfast. The tone was lovely - a nice rounded sound with a touch of growl. Very impressive, although I don't know how they'd sound at gig volume.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1410608409' post='2551209']
I played one of those new Fender Rumbles last week in a shop in Belfast. The tone was lovely - a nice rounded sound with a touch of growl. Very impressive, although I don't know how they'd sound at gig volume.

Frank.
[/quote]
They sound great, that's how they sound. Lot's of volume there out of the 210 combo.