Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for string retainers?

Truckstop

Hello all,

The string retainer on my BB424x is a useless piece of dogshit and I want it replaced. Anyone know of any particularly good ones? Or rather, any that I should avoid?

I plan to affix whichever new string retainer I purchase using a bolt and threaded insert to reduce the chance of thread stripping in the bare wood. A good idea?

Cheers!

Alex

I'd never felt the need to change mine either but I've had problems with mine. A while ago I banged my headstock and the string retainer fell out. Gigging 2 or 3 times a week at the time I bodged a repair using a toothpick and wood glue.

Over the last 8 months it's been falling out every so often and I've kept bodging a repair and now that I've got a couple of weeks off I want to make a proper repair and invest in a new string retainer just because.

Truckstop

Actually, ended up with a last minute dep gig last night so had to come up with an immediate solution. Found the longest, thinnest bolt I had and just drilled a hole right through the headstock and used a washer and nut.

Untidy but whatever, I won't be selling this one on!

Truckstop

Yeah - that'll do the job :)

I'm looking at the Hipshot ones as I've just got a BB1024 (which is awesome :) ) which has a 3-string retainer. The A & G string arrangement is the same as the Hipshot one, but the D string is threaded through a hole in the retainer...which looks like it'll be a bit of a faff changing strings.

Fender style retainers with grooves on the underside are pretty good.

I know that you've already bodged one in place but when it comes to fixing things properly I would say it's best not to bother with threaded inserts - tried some for a neck repair and they were next to useless. Much better to drill the hole out and then fill with epoxy resin or glue in a hardwood dowel.