Why become a member? ×

Do You Really Have Gigging In Your Blood?

blue

Just home from tonight's gig. Def. agree with those who think they'd pack in if they couldn't gig. I'm not interested in seeing bands or playing alone - I just want the buzz. In most walks of life I'm not a consumer - I'm a creator. That's how it is. Not always easy to be that way but I wouldn't swap it. I'll stop one day and when I do I'll proper stop - I know that. - but it's been a great joy in my life and for the moment remains so.

We have a lot of fun practising but without the goal of gigging it'd all be very pointless.

We play rock and punk covers loud and fast and gigging is the reward of the work put in behind the scenes. Our band has gelled in the practice room but on stage is where we find out if it's worked.

When you look out at a crowd and see them having fun it's a great feeling. Getting paid, even if it's just beer and petrol money is a nice bonus but not the reason we gig.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1410587864' post='2550994']
I've played some dives in my time but I've (nearly) always enjoyed the playing, even if the venue is a toilet.
[/quote]

Been playing at the bar/club level for over 42 years, however we ( my band) get our share of the bigger Fair and Festival business and I can't get the thrill of being on stage grooving a crowd out of my system.

Now, with that said I'd rather play one of the dives,toilet type venues with a good size, appreciative responsive crowd than a nice venue playing to the uninterested and unresponsive. I'm sure some of you guys know what I mean.

Blue

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1410605233' post='2551166']
If I didnt gig, I wouldnt play.

I got no interest in sitting around playing to myself, and rehearsals feel like an expensive chore these days.
[/quote]

Agreed, however even after 42 years I'm always learning and still sit and practice new riffs and songs with the headphones in the bedroom for hours on end. Keep in mind, I'm fortunate to be in a gigging band and I get to apply all the stuff I practice. However, I jammed so much as a youngster back in the 70s I have no interest in the whole concept of jamming even though some good stuff can come of it.

What do you think?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1410602823' post='2551125']
I doubt I'd own an bass if I wasn't gigging.

IMO, I'm playing and sounding better than ever, but I don't play for fun. The "fun" is the satisfaction of doing a good job, playing with good players, in a good band and in front of an audience. That's always been the buzz.

I'm on for about 110 gigs this year, which is down on the last 5 years, but that seems to be the way things are going these days. I've got to improve my networking.
[/quote]

You know, I have a saying about the whole playing for fun thing. At my age, 61;

[i]I certainly have fun playing gigs, however I don't play for fun I play for money and proud of it.[/i]

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1410726123' post='2552494']

[i]I certainly have fun playing gigs, however I don't play for fun I play for money and proud of it.[/i]

Blue
[/quote]

Amen to that.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1410726123' post='2552494']

Blue
[/quote]

The reciprocal version is just as true for me...

[i]I have certainly been paid, playing gigs, however I don't play for money; I play for fun and am proud of it.[/i]

It's all good.

Yup, just love gigs and get a bit cheesed off if my calendar doesn't have a week with at least one gig in it. Sometimes the looking forward outshines the gig itself but not very often. Happy to do a 'genuine' charity gig for nowt these days but otherwise I expect to be paid. It's not how much I receive but how much the venue pays. By that I mean I expect the venue to pay a fair rate and not take the piss, otherwise I don't do the gig. Don't like to do more than two hours these days and don't like to fanny around with sound checks. Oh, and I don't practice: it bores me. I work freelance for about a dozen bands in a year and I have two regulars. I love it. 74 next year but I look like a rock god. Last bit is probably not quite right because I play jazz.

I'd be a bit surprised if many bass players didn't enjoy gigging, its not the most satisfying instrument to play alone. I'm an entertainer and it's such a buzz to have people singing and dancing in time with my fingers. Nothing better than coming off with people grinning from ear to ear. The compromise is playing the songs they like rather than what I'd choose but I can listen to that any time. If I'd started younger and played originals I'd still want people to listen to it.

Nothing wrong with just enjoying playing by yourself or with an intimate group of friends, or of suffering from stage fright but for me it is performing that satisfies.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1410793860' post='2553204']
I don't really like gigging; it's the least enjoyable part of the whole music thing for me, largely because I have no desire to "entertain" people.
Used to do it a lot, nowadays only very rarely.
[/quote]

I know a few at home recording type musicians that feel the same way about gigging.

Me, I'm the opposite. I definitely am in this to entertain people. I love all aspects of gigging but it's the entertaining people part that's driving me.

Blue

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1410797532' post='2553264']
I'd be a bit surprised if many bass players didn't enjoy gigging, its not the most satisfying instrument to play alone. I'm an entertainer and it's such a buzz to have people singing and dancing in time with my fingers. Nothing better than coming off with people grinning from ear to ear. The compromise is playing the songs they like rather than what I'd choose but I can listen to that any time.
[/quote]

And the big crowd applause and cheers always get me, I love it. But yes I have had to compromise, in my neck of the woods, Milwaukee if you don't play covers you don't gig.It's that simple.

Blue

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1410795842' post='2553228']
Yup, just love gigs and get a bit cheesed off if my calendar doesn't have a week with at least one gig in it. Sometimes the looking forward outshines the gig itself but not very often. Happy to do a 'genuine' charity gig for nowt these days but otherwise I expect to be paid. It's not how much I receive but how much the venue pays. By that I mean I expect the venue to pay a fair rate and not take the piss, otherwise I don't do the gig. Don't like to do more than two hours these days and don't like to fanny around with sound checks. Oh, and I don't practice: it bores me. I work freelance for about a dozen bands in a year and I have two regulars. I love it. 74 next year but I look like a rock god. Last bit is probably not quite right because I play jazz.
[/quote]

Were on the same page. When I hear the ,[i] "I play for free because I'm in it for art and creativity"[/i] it's generally from the younger musicians 17-25. I think it takes a while before the whole concept of what service their providing and how much they have invested in music before they realize their financial value.

I also hear the [i]"I play for free because I'm in it for art and creativity" from older guys that say[/i] , I have a regular job that pays me well and [i]"I don't need the money".[/i] Key phrase [i]"need the money"[/i]. Completely different from saying[i] "I don't want the money or I won't accept the money". [/i]Personally, I have never seen one of these guys at the end of a gig giving their pay to other band members that do need the money. But I guess it happens.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1410824608' post='2553687']
On the side issue of pay, I have noticed that most bands are up front about pay. I will often see in ads [i]"If your looking for a pay day every weekend, this ain't it."[/i]

Blue
[/quote]

Fortunately this doesn't wash with most around here. If the guys are good, you'll get other demands as well.
They will want travel exes and you'll end up putting them on a minimum deal as that is what they expect and by and large
that is what they can get. There is a limit though and if you put out a decent paying dep gig, you'll get a LOT of guys
with decent CV's apply as well.

Love gigging but having recently become a dad I miss my wife and baby girl when I have a gig that requires me to leave home before baby bed time. That said I still really enjoy the bigger gigs and look forward to hanging out with my bandmates when we play.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1410896909' post='2554509']
Love gigging but having recently become a dad I miss my wife and baby girl when I have a gig that requires me to leave home before baby bed time. That said I still really enjoy the bigger gigs and look forward to hanging out with my bandmates when we play.
[/quote]

Then gigging is definitely in my blood.

For one, it's what I do and am fortunate to be a member of a band ( 3 years, next month ) with a busy schedule.

Second, you bring up an interesting point, when I audition for bands I make sure I know the ages of the members, married or single and if they have kids I want to know the ages. I think family comes first, if you love your family chances are they love you back. If you love a band, that band is not necessarily going to love you back. My point is I'm not going to join a band with members that have young children. At some point the responsibility with the kids is going to conflict with a gigging band.

Blue

I first gigged in my teens back in Scotland in a variety of pretty crappy punk bands - was always very nervous unless suitably lubricated and then I don't remember whether I was nervous or whether the gig was any good or not! It was great fun but ridiculous!

Moved abroad and didn't play for quite a few years - got into it again when I got back here 5 years ago and my enjoyment, ability, stagecraft and lack of nerves is at another level - I feel very comfortable gigging and can't get enough of them - just starting an original rock band as well as my Foos Tribute as I really want the additional challenge of writing original material - will be difficult to get great gigs like we get in the tribute but I am looking forward to it!

Rock on