Why become a member? ×

Do You Really Have Gigging In Your Blood?

blue

It's no secret that my passion is gigging and I work hard to stay busy with gigging at 61. Carefully choosing bands in line with my goals and requirements has helped.However, I have had to make some compromises. If your going to gig and get paid it goes with the territory

By the way, I'm a one band only type of guy. Always have been always will be..

I understand that gigging is not for all musicians especially the 4 hour back breaking bar gigs I do.

But here's my question, me I have never lost my passion for gigging it's the same as it was when I was 17. Now I have a few musician friends that complain about not being in a band. they are all great guitarists in my opinion but they all have one thing in common. They won''t make any compromises. One guy, for example if the band isn't playing shredding 80s hair rock he want's nothing to do with it. Another lives in a small market area and won't move.

To be honest, I don't think the whole gigging thing, the love of playing live to an audience is in their blood.

Comments or what can I tell these guys.

Blue

Edited by blue

Likewise, I was onstage within two weeks of buying my first bass about 23 years ago, I think the longest I've been without a gig since then was about six months.
It's my world. I'm not pro, and I find booking them the worst part of it all. But it's all I know, without gigging I can't imagine what I'd do. I host weekly open mic nights too, where I'll often play.
Lately I've started playing acoustic and electric guitar too, so I've three different bands on the go, where I play three different instruments, and am the vocalist. So these days my bass only gigs feel like a holiday!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1410562561' post='2550949']
Cool, do you gig?

Blue
[/quote]

I do.

I can't deny that at 50 I'm not as enthusiastic as I was when I was 19, where I used to look forward to gigs for a week, plan what to wear, practice a few moves, learn a few clever licks, and all that sh*t. But I also used to get extremely nervous too. These days I look forward to the gig but not the 3 hour waits between soundcheck and show, the travelling, the getting home late. But I don't get at all nervous anymore either. The stage is my favourite and safest place.

I'm lucky though, I have a lovely day job, and I only play for bands I love, and they are diverse bands. But because I have a wide range of musical tastes I can be as delighted playing pop music as I can with the world music bands I'm in. For me it's all about the quality of the music and people I'm playing with, if it's fun and interactive I'm happy, the type of music is largely secondary.

I agree with Blue on this, am much the same, I just love gigging. Last Sat I left home at 7am to go to the studio. Then left studio to gig with another band at 8pm. Got home at 2am, back out at 7am Sun morning to studio again. Was really tired but would I have dropped the gig, no way.

I have a fairly wide taste in music, and realise at some point it`s going to be a little daft me playing punk gigs, so will move on to something new (Motown style is my current thought on this). Whereas the guys in my band, especially the singer/guitarist, I doubt would do any other styles of music.

I also have a few mates who are amazing guitarists but either want the exact right band on their door-steps, or are too undisciplined to actually work in a band frame-work. Each to their own but music/gigging is it for me. If you put the effort in, the rewards are there - not so much material rewards, but the reward you get from having such a great hobby, it`s called enjoyment. I get it in bucket-loads.

No, I have to choose what gigs to do as I am more picky these days.
I need a motivation so it is either a very nice gig to do... ( not a given, IMO )
or it pays well, but even then, I have to fancy it.
I don't stress over it, it is just the way it is and I've burnt out before so this is my way
of trying to stop myself from getting jaded again.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1410595961' post='2551051']
I have a fairly wide taste in music, and realise at some point it`s going to be a little daft me playing punk gigs,

[/quote] You have at least 20 years of punk left. Charlie Harper must be 70

Edited by timmo

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1410599940' post='2551085']
You have at least 20 years of punk left. Charlie Harper must be 70
[/quote]

He is, we played with the Subs on one of the dates of their Charlies 70th Birthday Tour. And they were amazing.

Really got gigging blood, love turning up at empty venues, being backstage, debating over where to set the band up, finding somewhere to eat, lugging gear, the comradeship, and actually playing. It's by no means perfect and it can be tiring and repetitive, but every gig is an adventure. Earlier this year I was playing at a car rally and 5 1920s Bugattis rocked up and parked right by where I was set up, surreal. Musos are normally great, stimulating company, you get to share what you love with a crowd, gigging's an honour.

I doubt I'd own an bass if I wasn't gigging.

IMO, I'm playing and sounding better than ever, but I don't play for fun. The "fun" is the satisfaction of doing a good job, playing with good players, in a good band and in front of an audience. That's always been the buzz.

I'm on for about 110 gigs this year, which is down on the last 5 years, but that seems to be the way things are going these days. I've got to improve my networking.

I gig every week and I do go a bit stir crazy if I have a weekend with no gig. I just love playing. And it doesn't matter if it's a ropey pub band, a big function or an originals gig, I still want to play well and hopefully help get some booty on the dancefloor. I still get that buzz after years of doing this and I'm glad that's the case. I know a few jaded old pros and it shows massivly in their attitude and playing. My thinking is that I play for free but it's the travelling, setting up & hanging about that I get paid for.
I honestly don't know what I'd do in this world without music. It's my favourite drug. Rock on!

I hated gigging for 30 years! I loved playing, in the orchestra pit, maybe as a backing band, or playing to clicks - I loved depping, turning up and playing whatever was in front of me - plus the studio stuff. However, I got nothing from being in a band - I just didn't like it at all. Then, in a rash moment - I volunteered to be in my long term friend's tribute band. No idea why I did it. I love it, and really can't remember why I didn't like it before? However I don't get the rush many people seem to, and while I enjoy it while it's happening, when it's over, it's over. I can't remember many of the places we've been to, and it's just a bit of a blur. I read about people coming off stage and being on a natural high and exhausted. I come off stage happy, but just want to pack my gear and go. I'm a bit odd, I think.

It's the gigs that make all the hard work practicing worthwhile. I have two kids under 4 yrs old, and have to admit, when you finally lay down about 2 am after unpacking from a gig, and the kids up at half six (if you are lucky they don't wake up in between) it does hurt. But the thought of not gigging as a musician to me at least is like having a d@!k and only using it to pee.....

I wouldn't say gigging is my reason for living but there's no doubting I enjoy it, but I also enjoy just jamming with others musicians so I'd say THAT'S the important thing for me - playing with others. Could be a gig, a jam or a rehearsal studio but definitely with others.

That's not to say I don't occasionally play along to records on my own, but it's not very frequent these days, and I hardly ever just 'noodle around'. Mind you, I'd probably be a better player if I did :lol: