Why become a member? ×

The best commuter/student bass case!

TBBassist2011

Evening everyone,

I'm about to start music college and in the need of a very protective and versatile bass soft case. I have a couple of hard cases that just won't be great walking around the city or on the commute in every morning. I came across the Gruvgear GigBlade, which I loved at first with its sleeve for a laptop, pedal carrier etc. but doesn't seem like it is waterproof without the waterproof cover, which doesn't leave me feeling too comfortable spending that much on a product that isn't waterproof from stock, especially with my laptop in a pocket at the front.

I came across the Mono M80, which seems like a good case and then came on here and find everyone giving great reviews of the iGig cases, but from the look of the iGig cases, I cannot tell if they are waterproof or if I'd be able to fit a laptop and all other student-esque items in!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

I can't vouch for the other two you mentioned but I'm a music student and commute around 3 hours each time I go to college -currently 4 times a week- and I use a Mono M80 Vertigo. The bag provides great protection and neck support for the bass. The pocket on front isn't overly spacious but does have enough space for a few cables, some books/laptop.

Worth the money I'd say.

Edited by Cameronj279

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1410561713' post='2550937']
I can't vouch for the other two you mentioned but I'm a music student and commute around 3 hours each time I go to college and I use a Mono M80 Vertigo. The bag provides great protection and neck support for the bass. The pocket on front isn't overly spacious but does have enough space for a few cables, some books/laptop.

Worth the money I'd say.
[/quote]

Snap, you must've been typing at the same time as me :)

I've got a Mono M80 and I find it very uncomfortable to wear for anything other than a 5 minute walk due to the fact that the straps are too close together at the top and the bottom of the case bangs against the backs of my thighs as I walk.

I wouldn't buy another semi-rigid case without trying it on with my bass in it first. If you use it as a gig bag and wear it on your back it needs to comfortable, and if you just carry it as a normal case then I'd look at getting a Hiscox case since they are about the same size and only the Mono is significantly lighter.

Edited by BigRedX

You can easily put a laptop in the iGig pockets. I don't know if they are officially waterproof, but mines been out in the rain and
nothing got damaged.Easily the best case I've ever used-if I'm doing a gig where I don't need much I can put my amp,leads, tablet and a couple of pedals in the iGig.It gets a bit weighty, but it's convenient.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1410788848' post='2553119']
I've got a Mono M80 and I find it very uncomfortable to wear for anything other than a 5 minute walk due to the fact that the straps are too close together at the top
[/quote]

This

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1412094391' post='2565594']
Protect Contego
[/quote]

and this.

It's heavier, but much more comfortable than the Mono. Also, after an unfortunate backstage flooding incident, I can vouch for the waterproof capabilities of the Protec!