Why become a member? ×

Making a Thingray

dincz

Nice thread. I gather you're not 100% after the Stingray sound, but some of it's character. I think the impedance of the original Stringray pickup [u]combined [/u]with the insane pre-amp the pre EB ones had is responsible for that sound. My Pre-EB is a Sabre, so has a slightly different pickup, but i think the Pre is the same - and it has a crazy amount of treble boost which I never use all of.

Seems like you're getting close with the Wilkinson pickup, you could try adding an Artec 2 band EQ (they are really cheap - and not bad at all quality) to see if that does it for you before you go spending on custom pickups and pre-amps.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1411562080' post='2560634']
Nice thread. I gather you're not 100% after the Stingray sound, but some of it's character. I think the impedance of the original Stringray pickup [u]combined [/u]with the insane pre-amp the pre EB ones had is responsible for that sound. My Pre-EB is a Sabre, so has a slightly different pickup, but i think the Pre is the same - and it has a crazy amount of treble boost which I never use all of.[/quote]

Thanks for the comments. It's the growl I'm after but not necessarily the extreme top end. It's part way there already and I'm now waiting on parts (the op-amp is not easy to find in the corner shop) to build a copy of the 2 band Stingray preamp. The local pickup guy can't do me a Stingray pickup unfortunately so I'll probably go for the Seymour Duncan as recommended by mcnach and others elsewhere on the web.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1411562080' post='2560634']
Seems like you're getting close with the Wilkinson pickup, you could try adding an Artec 2 band EQ (they are really cheap - and not bad at all quality) to see if that does it for you before you go spending on custom pickups and pre-amps.
[/quote]

The Wilkinson is sounding pretty good but its coil resistance is about double that of the real thing or of the SD. I expect the right low inductance pickup will make a world of difference.

Stingrays sound to me as though the pickup is slightly overdriving the preamp when digging in which is why I'm planning to stick with the original preamp design.

As for cosmetics, I was planning to have a pickguard cut to hide the excavations but not sure how this will work out with a slightly contoured body.

Edited by dincz

[quote name='mingsta' timestamp='1411561349' post='2560628']
I have nothing to add to this thread, other than to say that my name is Ming and I own two Stingrays. Therefore I fully support your noble quest to build the Mingray.
[/quote]

Your blessing is much appreciated :)

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1411587036' post='2561002']
Maybe look at a delano pup if youve not decided yet :)
[/quote]

There's a used one for sale for £50 over my way but I couldn't find any detailed specs so not sure how close it is to the real thing. It's for a Sandberg and looks like this - http://www.midi.cz/inzerat/132956/snimace-pro-baskytaru-sandberg-delano-4str-a-5-str-modely-humbucker/www.sandberg-guitars.com

• 4 weeks later...

Seymour Duncan SMB-4A installed and working - although with the Cort electronics for now. I've built a Stingray 2 band replica preamp but waiting for the op-amp to arrive. It's already well on the way to sounding like a Stingray (I think) but I wonder how much of the sound is the new pickup position which forces me to anchor my thumb and pluck in a new position. Maybe all I needed was a thumb rest in the right spot :(

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good so far, there are stingray 2 band clone pre-amps available on a well known internet auction site. I have no connection in anyway, I have just been looking for a pre-amp for my weedy (but great tone) Gibson SG bass. Artec seem to be excellent value on Thomann site.