Why become a member? ×

The never ending ohm-talk

isteen

Right.

That said, it is technically possible to have a box made up into which the two cabs could be plugged in as a 'series' connection. The amp would 'see' 8 ohms. Don't try this at home if you don't know what you're doing.

Why would you want to connect both at once..? Simply curious, or a real problem needing solution..?

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1410614918' post='2551285']

Two cabs at 4 ohm, that's trouble, isn't it?

[/quote]

Electrically, no, they just need to be connected in series rather than parallel. That means a box or cable designed for that specific job.

Sound wise though, I'm not so sure. I think there are acoustic issues with running that kind of setup without a cross-over.

Of course, you could always have a crossover made up, so different signals are being sent to the 1x15" than the 4x10" speaker... then it would behave like one giant 4ohm speaker cabinet.

[quote name='Magic Matt' timestamp='1410621647' post='2551364']
I think there are acoustic issues with running that kind of setup without a cross-over.
[/quote]Not really. You use a crossover when one speaker is for lows and one is for highs. Electric bass tens, twelves and fifteens all operate in the same bandwidth, so there's no point in a crossover. For that matter there's no point in using them together either. A fifteen crossed over to a six or eight inch midrange is logical. A 1x15 used with a 4x10 that goes just as low and has more driver cone displacement is illogical.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1410615223' post='2551288']
Why would you want to connect both at once..? Simply curious, or a real problem needing solution..?
[/quote]

410 for the punch and power + 115 for the low end and deep bass tones. I was guessing both cabs would be louder that just the one alone

Well, if you know how to solder and can rustle up a couple of jacks, sockets and cables, you could 'lash up' something just to try it out; it's not rocket surgery. What amp is it..? I'm not sure that you'd get extra loudness, but that depends somewhat on your amp's power into 8 ohms.

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1410640206' post='2551599']
410 for the punch and power + 115 for the low end and deep bass tones.[/quote]That's the usual reason given, but it doesn't work that way. Fifteens don't go appreciably lower than tens, and even if they did you'd have to use them on a one to one ratio with the tens to equal what the tens are putting out. [quote] I was guessing both cabs would be louder that just the one alone[/quote]Somewhat, if they were both 8 ohm cabs and you could use them together. But they aren't, so you can't.

I have a Warwick WCA 410 (400 watts at 4 ohm) and a EBS Evolution 115 (400 watts at 4 ohm), plus two different heads I'm using ( a GK MB200 - 200 watt at 4 ohm as well as the 550 watt backup, (Behringer BVT 5500).Will check out the Warwick cab with the small head tomorrow along with a band.

[i]I actually got the Behringer pretty cheap, but surprinsingly it doesn't sound all that bad[/i]

Edited by isteen