Why become a member? ×

Any tips on correctly placing a bridge cover on a P?

Geek99

Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to save you from a long thread of helpful advice in the style of "the correct placement of a generic bridge cover on a Japanese Precision copy body, slightly depending on the build year - as there are some complications for the latter part of 1992 and the years 1993 through 1995, is... over the bridge"...
...or "over the headstock of course, you dumbass!".
;)

So, are you asking for advice about the work method to get it precisely where you want it, or about the positioning choices themselves?
If the former, then just cut three bits of wood to have around the bridge so there's no leeway for the cover, before placing the cover and marking the exact right spots for the screw holes.
Me, I use Velcro instead though, which is a more flexible solution, with quicker strings change. Also adds height to the cover, which can be nice, and is slightly better for resale value when one can offer a bass without the holes.

Edited by BassTractor

Assuming you have plenty of leeway in where to place it (over a correctly placed BBOT bridge) I suppose it's what looks right to you - I prefer to see the back of the cover no closer to the edge of the body than the pickguard comes; imagine a flowing line following that sort of route but of course whether that's faithful to whatever year a factory spec bass is supposed to have it is a different matter entirely.

Edited by HowieBass