Why become a member? ×

New bass day!

Evil Undead

And what a disappointment.

Bought a used tanglewood elfin 30" bass from gumtree as I'd been after a short scale p bass for a while, my parents picked it up for me about a month ago.

So I went over today and got it, noticed the neck has a little bit too much relief for my liking. Stick an Allen key in there, just turned immediately with almost no resistance. Thought I might have the wrong size so tried the next one up. Too big.

Had a look in the hole... Guess what? The nut is rounded out.

I'm guessing this cute little bass is pretty much firewood now then, unless someone can recommend anything free to try out?

I'm pretty annoyed. Have informed the seller that there was a problem and I'm not happy, but of course, being gumtree, there's jack all I can do.

I'm not sure what size allen keys you have, there are metric and imperial sizes... you might be able to jam one in there and have enough purchase to get the bullet nut off. If you get it off then you should be able to buy a new truss rod nut and put that on it. You can get new truss rod nuts off eBay. Either that or put light gauge strings on which have less tension and the neck should have less relief. Neither option is free unfortunately :(

Edited by HowieBass

Try an a reverse thread screw extractor set. These on Amazon. Plenty of others to be found.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teng-SE05-Screw-Extractor-Pieces/dp/B000Y8NE56/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410643858&sr=8-3&keywords=screw+extractor+set

Turn left, anti clockwise as you look at the nut to undo. These extractors will only work the correct way as they tighten as you turn. Go the wrong way and they just come out.